Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denon DJ PRIME 4

Denon DJ PRIME 4

This is a BEAST y'all!

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Denon DJ PRIME 4

Check out this bad boy:
    Denon DJ Prime 4

Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Looks amazing! Wonder what the sound quality is? Every controller sounds really bad compared to a mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Duluxx View Post
    Looks amazing! Wonder what the sound quality is? Every controller sounds really bad compared to a mixer.
    That's an interesting opinion about sound quality. Since most mixers are digital and use similar AD/DA chips as controllers, I'm not sure if there's a significant difference in sound quality between the two - especially when they play compressed lossy tracks. I suppose EQ and effects could be different, but that depends on the DJ app.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    That's an interesting opinion about sound quality. Since most mixers are digital and use similar AD/DA chips as controllers, I'm not sure if there's a significant difference in sound quality between the two - especially when they play compressed lossy tracks. I suppose EQ and effects could be different, but that depends on the DJ app.
    I have used the djm900nxs2 and sound quality seems better then the controller I’ve used. Plus I’ve read other ppl saying the same thing in forums so thats how I conclude why I thought sound quality was poor with controllers compared to mixers. Plus price point. They need to take stuff out to make controllers cheaper, correct? Not saying all mixers are better, just generalizing.

After doing about 5m of light reading at the usual places (Pio, Serato, and NI), most agree with you that controllers sound worse than high-end mixers.

Being specific, the DJM-900nxs2 uses the Asahi Kasei DAC (AK4490EQ) which is a high-end DAC. Several Pio controllers use Wolfson DACs. Other manufacturers use Cirrus Logic DACs. The Wolfson and Cirrus Logic DACs are viewed as mid-range.

I would guess that the DAC chipsets are the significant reason why there are sound quality differences between the two. Since some DJ apps (i.e. Traktor and Virtual DJ) allow output to any connected sound interface, you can get around the controller's DAC by using a higher end sound interface. Serato DJ apps don't seem to offer this, at least on Windows. CoreAudio on MacOS might allow more flexibility.
    -KLH

Do you use some Denon Equipment? I ask about it because I am big fan of Pioneer but this Denon prime4 is really interesting and I am thinking about buying it, but a few days ago one of my friends caution me about Denon. He said that for example Denon Prime SC5000 really like services. What can you say about this brand? Is it good equipment?

I have a couple of Denon products: an old dual CD player - the Denon DN-9000 and the MCX8000 controller.

No issues.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

At least this is a clear sign that the new non standalone, when it finally drops, won't be mirrored. Here's to hoping they've improved the Cue buttons... they don't last very long before the internal support snaps.

Sound Quality... As long as all are using good converters with a well designed circuit around it, the difference should be tiny, unnoticeable, placebo.

In some cases... what people are preferring is the colouration of the mixer. Although they prefer that, scientifically this isn't good. The mixer should be 100% neutral. A lot of old style mixers that are loved, when driven hard, add their own unique distortion described as "warmth" to the sound. Pioneer may of digitally emulated some of that in to their design but i doubt it, many would view this as bad. The thing with Pio's is the newer models go insanely loud before clipping... which is kind of pointless, you simply overdive the inputs on the amplifiers... which, depending on amplifier, could also result in a preferred warmer sound (same for any limiters etc preamp). The controller would be distorting badly before reaching that magical point... depending on the gain staging in the venue.

The room the sound system is in would do more damage to the sound than the difference between pro quality converters.

When Pio announced, improved sound quality, all they did was admit how bad the old mixers were. Once sound quality is neutral it can't be improved. Yes, one could sweeten the sound to make it better, but better is subjective. 100% transparent is ultimate quality achieved.

Once you have absolute neutrality, it's up to the sound engineer to tune in any colour they prefer.