Thread: Absolute noob to production. Where to go?

Absolute noob to production. Where to go?

Hi everyone,

I've been DJing for a while now but am looking to maybe starting to produce tracks/beats here and there. It will just be bedroom stuff, something I can just mess around with the family. I've watched some videos and it looks quite complex.

Can anyone point me towards a an easy program/hardware and/or online tutorials paid/unpaid? Should I just go to a local school and take a program?

Thanks

I use FL Studio. For the full version with all the FL Studio VSTs it is too expensive. You can find a lot of quality VSTs online.

There are tons of youtube video for any program you choose.

Most digital audio workstation (DAW) software comes with a free (often referred to as 'Lite') or demo version available for download from the manufacturer's website, I suggest that you download a couple (literally no more than two to begin with) and try them on for size. In the end they all do more or less the same thing, it's just their workflows and the number and quality of the included plugins (mini programmes that work within the DAW giving you access to (virtual) instruments and/or effects processors, e.g. delays, compressors, equalisers, etc.) that differ. Find one that seems most comfortable for the way that you/your brain works and learn it inside out.

Most of the DJ's on here, it seems, are into House (in it's many forms) and House cats tend to prefer the Ableton Live way of working. I haven't tried it for years but when I did I found it counter intuitive (it or I may have changed a lot since then but I'm still not inclined to give it another go), your mileage may vary.

Some of your choice will be determined by your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux), your audio interface (the device that translates audio into and out of the language that your computer understands) and, of course, your budget.

Whatever you end up with, have fun with it

Hardware might also be a factor. Since whatever DAW comes with the hardware is pre-mapped for the full version of the DAW.

Yamaha midi-keyboards usually come with Cubase but can be mapped for any DAW.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Cubase User here... Many genres of dance music.

I'm thinking of FL Studio just because of the vibrant colours. lol. Ableton seems really bland to look at.

Thanks everyone.

Any suggestions for a good midi controller?

Absolute noob to production Where to go

Id love to see more discussion of production techniques. Guess I should come up with a topic or two.

I guess you should. Welcome to Djforums. Please enter a specific subject next time.

Thread closed.