Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big News - Technics 1200 MK7

Technics did a showcase together with Boiler Room a week ago with top name DJs using the new MK7.
    My favorite was Kenny Dope doing a whole set just using 7" singles

+1..I was hoping to see much more of the Technic,..but,watching Kenny turn it (with 7" classic house vinyl ) was even better!!

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump to give you guys my impressions on the MK 7 as I just had a bit of hands-on with a stores demo unit. Keep in mind when I say hands-on, I literally mean just putting my hand on the unit and getting a feel for the controls; pitch slider, on / off switch etc. I DID NOT PLAY ANY RECORDS ON IT.

I'll get right to the point. This is not what a successor to our beloved 1200's should be. A true successor should scream quality, reliability and durability. The MK 7 barely whispers any of that.

The start / stop button doesn't have the sure-fire feel when pressing it like past 1200's. The top, cast aluminum half of the unit doesn't feel as solid either. It almost seems like its half as thick. The new pop-up light no longer has a separate button beside it to activate it. Instead you simply press down on the top of the light similar to your common ball point pen. This wouldn't be too bad if it was made to a higher quality, but I found it to be rather flimsy - dare I say it reminded me of my old Gemini XL1800 target lights. Not confidence inspiring.

Now on to arguably the most important function; the pitch slider. Its smooth - for the most part. But I found there were some rough feeling areas through out the pitch range, kind of like there was an accumulation of dust inside the body of the slider. However this was a brand new unit. The store actually took it out of the box right in front of me, so dust was certainly not the issue.

To make matters worse the store had the $4000 GR on display which I played around with as well. The pitch on that is smoother than any TT I've ever touched. The GR on a whole is totally on another level. Everything oozes quality, reliability and durability. As far as I'm concerned, the GR is the true successor to the 1200 series, it's just too bad it's out of reach price wise for most DJ's.

So that's my initial thoughts of the new MK 7. Please remember I didn't play a single record on it, I only got touchy feely with it. Maybe in actual use they may perform better than my limited time with them, but as it stands, I'd give them an easy pass.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Unbelievable. They went cheap on it and ask top dollar. My main complaint about most Pioneer CDJ's is their cheap, thin plastic feel. Sounds like the MK7 is the same.

Turns off Lurk Mode

Just in case anyone missed it.

Last edited by DJ Subculture; 09-07-2019 at 02:59 AM.
    "All I ever wanted to do was hear music that I like and play it to other people" - John Peel

For shame, looks like ill hold onto my old Mk IIs then

What's the word? Has anyone mixed with them?

I don't like the mk7 personally I think it feels cheap, it's made of plastic and suffers from low frequency feedback so in a club it'd be nothing but problems near a big sound system. I'll stick with my mkII decks, I myself believe and so do a lot of people that the build quality of the mkII is way better than the mk7. I think for home use it might be ok if using hi-fi speakers but forget about club use plus I doubt they'll last as long as the mkII have. There are mkII decks which are 30 years old and still working I doubt anyone's mk7 will be working after that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred-Dibna View Post
    I don't like the mk7 personally I think it feels cheap, it's made of plastic and suffers from low frequency feedback so in a club it'd be nothing but problems near a big sound system. I'll stick with my mkII decks,
    Since it's lighter a lot of people thought that would be a problem but real-world A/B comparisons have shown that the MK7 has better low-frequency isolation than the MK2.

Modern technology > 1970s technology

Quote Originally Posted by Fred-Dibna View Post
    There are mkII decks which are 30 years old and still working I doubt anyone's mk7 will be working after that long.
    Good record players last 100+ years. I have no doubt that the MK7s will last just as long as any other SL-1200 series record player.

Edison Disc Phonograph Model C-200, c. 1916-1919
    2:49
    Last edited by Windows 95; 12-27-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

This guy does a tear down / component inspection of the MK7's. He's not impressed.

Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,