Thread: TV's how big and how do you transport?

TV's how big and how do you transport?

Looking at adding TV's to some of our rigs. How big is too big? I was thinking 55". What's the best way to transport them? Size is only a marginal issue, we use box trucks for the larger jobs. FYI we have two projectors, short throw and a normal one and use both sided screens. But sometimes a TV is a better bet. E.g. Outside, one on each side of a small setup, super tight setups...

You probably need to have a case custom built unless you find a suitable-size mixer case etc..

The default size here is 50"ones and for some reason there are cases to suit them weather sony or Panasonic and samsung there are hospitality and entertainment series often available that you won't find on the domestic market. These are the ones you expect to see at Hotels they all seem regular but often have additional connections and programming modes not to mention more importantly for our industry the ability where having 4 or 9 50" tvs they can be put together to give that big matrix effect and seamless setup as opposed to trying to achieve the results with domestic screens. Its a bit of a tricky one. You cant really beat the brightness and simplicity of a TV screen and then again its hard to knock the undisputed options you get from a projector all best the cost though. For corporate gigs where 3-4 50" screens mounted on a quad truss really look the business its up to try how and what you will be doing. Also LED screens (the billboard style ones and ones in use at concerts are magnificent but again thats on a scale that is large and you do need to be some way a away to appreciate it so to answer your query I don't know.

But interesting to note SONT or SAMSUNG hospitality series TVS (cant remember which ones) are fire proof. Iam not sure how far that has been tested and from what I was told its to do with high rise accomodations with sprinkler systems where the units can withstand the smoke and water i find it hard to believe but its actually on there as a feature.

OPOAT

FYI Philips do a bunch of 50" Screens which i think are absolute BANG FOR THE Bucks about the same cost as a standard 50" philips BUT again these are designed for fast food places like Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds. They use them as there menu panels. The contrast and brightness ratio has been beefed up to handle the non stop environment that needs to be bright and clear and i have seen some that are going on 3 years old and look as the good as the day they were new Again if you go exploring any of these manufactures sites you may find a model in a different series for about the same coin you are planning to spend and that your ordinary supplier may be able to get for you. ITs all about asking and researching so you did make a great start coming on here. Also check PENN ELCOM they can custom build case solutions if required.

Josef

So, I think this is what you're asking.

Most setups here use 42", 50", or 55" TVs in their setups. Depends on when they got the TVs and how large their typical party size is, but all for different reasons. What they could afford at the time, vehicle-transport space available, size of setup, amount of people needed to setup, ect. Personally, I absolutely wouldn't go any smaller than 32" if you have a really compact rig, in a really small room, especially if you are putting them on individual tripods. But if your mostly going to be using them in huge ballrooms with 300+ guests, then your budget is probably going to be more of a limiting factor than anything. You might want to check out a home theater blog about viewing distances, that might be a good resource to look into (overkill, but good).

For transport cases go, I've seen road cases go from $500-2K on Amazon, all depending on the size of TV and how many. There are also plastic cases out there for cheaper too, but don't have the same durability.

Also, most setups use consumer-grade TVs here, not commercial or outdoor. Those can run you x3-4 more money for the same size TV. Commercial TVs are meant for more constant use, like being left on in a store for 18+hrs a day, everyday. They are typically brighter too to combat the ambient light that they are usually in. Same thing goes for outdoor TVs, brighter to combat the sun and weather-resistant to protect it if it gets hit with a little rain.

If you have a bunch of TVs and want to make a bigger display like Wapples is talking about, yes you can do that, but I think using one of your short-throw projectors would be a better option. There are companies out there that made devices that allow you to create larger displays with TVs and make a video wall of sorts. With that, you can configure them into lots of creative ways for different applications. Also, if you're doing a lot of gigs that require a really large display but a projector won't work, look into LED video walls. Lots of production companies rent them out nowadays or the price on them has come down on them alot in the past few years and are become more and more price-competitive.
    www.ArenaTech.co

I'm a VJ and I use 43 & 50 (like Arena said) Any larger you should just break out the projector. As for cases i went cheap and now using Gator soft cases.

WARNING: If you go with the soft cases, remember they are not good with rough handling! I already dropped one and cracked a tv. Think of them like laptop bags.

I also use Gator Frameworks tripods, they are an easy on/off. I'm a single operator so i have 2-43's and 2-50's and a short throw projector. I cannot afford LED screen panels.

43's are not bad, I used them at a wedding in December
    https://youtu.be/2Gpe4fr4P6E
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 01-30-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

What are you doing with them? If you're wanting to do business presentations with them, 55's are just way too small for anything but a tiny conference room.

We offer...
    48" (Usually just for confidence monitors)
    60" (Digital signage, small breakout sessions, and such)
    86/90" (For presentations in small spaces)
    110" Quad 55" low-bezel matrix (great for presentations with lots of images, but the bezels can get in the way of text)

Anything bigger than that gets a 12K+ projector or a video wall system. The custom dual rolling cases are more expensive than the TV's, but worth every penny.
    Last edited by sss18734; 01-30-2019 at 07:18 PM.