Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will there be any new genres or are we settled with it already?

All the genres are iterative, with bigger bumps when new musical instruments are invented/made affordable. We can definitely trace this whole thing back to amplified R&B. If we want to go further, we go to blues and jazz, which seem(??) to have developed separately. So because that's a split going backward, and normally going backward means a collapse into fewer genres, I'd be just as happy to call all of this music R&B (or Rock n Roll). Go forward to disco as disco meant any record meant to be played as a record among other records for its performance in a night, and you have another centrally binding point.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

it could also be argued that Dub from Jamaica late 60's had a major influence on EDM. IDM, Dance Music, whatever you want to call it, with King Tubby & Scientist experimenting with bits of technology coming-out of the US ect, 'designed' for other things, and inventing a whole electronic sound in the process.