Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be any new genres or are we settled with it already?

Will there be any new genres or are we settled with it already?

Basically taken I believe there won't be any new music styles anymore or then people start calling a zombie-trance being a new genre.
    EDM as example, was already determined by various sub-genres, like Trance, Techno, Dance, House, Hardstyle.
    But yeah, there needs to be something unique into it if you can say it's new.

Will there be any new genres
    Yes.

[ /thread]

Yeah... 2-4 years time... Takina, it'll be huge.

Also RANDO and various sub genres of AI produced music. Some of which will be entirely produced by it's own nature, others via various crazy methods we'll input to direct the code.

I'd say we are constantly 'discovering' genres already there, taking styles from all over the World and fusing them together with Western 'sensibilities' to make hybrids...subgenres.

New genres come from many things but mostly new instruments and processes.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

Yeah there's loads of new genres happening all the time. You still have all the old standards like Techno, House, Drum and Bass, Trance, Breaks, and Hardcore. None of these sit still. Hell I have to catch up what's been going on in Breaks since Nu Skool Breaks as you have new upsurge of Funky Breaks, Nu-Funk, Ghetto Funk, and Tech-Funk. But the last 10-20 years its mainly been about the continuing changes from Uk Garage to Dubstep, that splitting into styles and then UK Bass, Trap, and Future Bass now being the hot new Halfstep / Bass music.

Music won't stop developing out, even if its under old umbrella parents or brand new ones.
    Last edited by freewave; 01-06-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freewave View Post
    Yeah there's loads of new genres happening all the time. You still have all the old standards like Techno, House, Drum and Bass, Trance, Breaks, and Hardcore. None of these sit still. Hell I have to catch up what's been going on in Breaks since Nu Skool Breaks as you have new upsurge of Funky Breaks, Nu-Funk, Ghetto Funk, and Tech-Funk. But the last 10-20 years its mainly been about the continuing changes from Uk Garage to Dubstep, that splitting into styles and then UK Bass, Trap, and Future Bass now being the hot new Halfstep / Bass music.

Music won't stop developing out, even if its under old umbrella parents or brand new ones.
    They are not new genres, though, they're sub-genres. And I might be wrong, but I'd say Trance & Hardcore are actually a sub-genre of House, as is Techno, and Breaks and *Drum & Bass are sub-genres of Jungle and original Breakbeat, which is a blend of Funk and Dancehall...Dancehall being a sub-genre of Reggae Music.

*actually, I'd say D&B was a genre in itself, because it invented timestretch.

there aren't that many 'pure' genres.
    Last edited by dlove; 01-08-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    They are not new genres, though, they're sub-genres. And I might be wrong, but I'd say Trance & Hardcore are actually a sub-genre of House, as is Techno, and Breaks and *Drum & Bass are sub-genres of Jungle and original Breakbeat, which is a blend of Funk and Dancehall...Dancehall being a sub-genre of Reggae Music.

*actually, I'd say D&B was a genre in itself, because it invented timestretch.

there aren't that many 'pure' genres.
    Those are all sub-genres of EDM.
    And EDM is a sub-genre of Synth-Pop or Dance.
    Synth-Pop & Dance are sub-genres of Pop.
    Pop is a sub-genre of Rock.
    Rock is a sub genre of Rock N' Roll.
    Rock N' Roll is combination of Jazz and Hillbilly. (Hillbilly is now called Bluegrass.)

And to make things more confusing now Rockabilly is a sub-genre of Rock.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

and Jazz is inexcricably linked to African Genres, with the use of polyrhythms.

probably a repost somewhere on here, the Music Is My Sanctuary 'Evolution Of Dance Music' chart

Last edited by dlove; 01-09-2019 at 02:43 AM.