Thread: QSC KS-112 SUb setup Question

QSC KS-112 SUb setup Question

Hi all. I am fairly new to this forum and haven't really had any questions or comments till now. There seems to be a wealth of information on this forum so I thought I would start here with my question. I have been using a couple QSC K-12 speakers along with a Denon MC-3000 controller for a couple years now and decided to add a sub to my setup. For Christmas my wife got me a QSC KS-112 sub but a have a question as to how to set it up. It seams to me it could be set up a couple different ways. Let me know if I am correct and which way would be the preferred way. I believe I can go from my controller to the two K-12's and from the K-12's to the sub or I could also go from the controller to the KS-112 sub and from the sub to the two K-12's. If this is true does one setup have any benefit over the other? Anyone out there using a setup like this? Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dalehardy View Post
    I believe I can go from my controller to the two K-12's and from the K-12's to the sub or I could also go from the controller to the KS-112 sub and from the sub to the two K-12's. If this is true does one setup have any benefit over the other?
    Welcome and congrats on the cool christmas gift. Yes both connection methods are valid and should perform equally well however if you go to the sub first there will only be 1 XLR cable up the stand to the each K12.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Welcome and congrats on the cool christmas gift. Yes both connection methods are valid and should perform equally well however if you go to the sub first there will only be 1 XLR cable up the stand to the each K12.
    Paul thanks for your reply but not certain I understand. If I didn't have the sub I would still only have one cable going to each K12. There are only two outputs from the controller. One right, one left and I run a cable from each to a speaker. The sub has two XLR inputs and two XLR outputs so I would run the two controller outputs to the sub and the two outs from the sub to the K12's.

Yes you need four cables.. and as conanski said it makes no difference in the sound whether you run the two cables from the controller to your two speakers (one cable to each speaker) and then another two from the speakers to the A and B inputs on the sub.. Or if you go from the controller first and then to the speakers from there. The main consideration in choosing one or the other in this case would be neatness and ease of setup and for that I would choose to connect from the controller to the sub and from there to the speakers.

What does affect sound quality is having the sub and the speakers both set in the correct mode for subwoofer operation together. Since everything you have is QSC this should be spelled out pretty clearly in the manual.

Thanks conanski and light-o-matic. Appreciate both your inputs. Think I will go to the sub first.

Another question on this sub. There is a setting on the back of the sub called DELAY. The user guide tells me how to set it but having never used a sub before I'm not sure what this is for or what it should be set t. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Delay is for the situation where the tops (speakers) and sub are a different distance away from the crowd. For example, let's say you have the sub in front of your table, and the left and right speakers are to your left and right.. the sub is slightly closer to the crowd, thus the bass will arrive at the ears of the crowd slightly sooner than the midrange and high frequencies. This affects sound quality in a way that.. if the difference is pretty small, may not be immediately obvious.. it can be very subtle. If it's a larger difference, then the effect can become pretty bad. It takes a little practice to set this just right... I use test tones to do it because it's easier than with music.

But anyway, sound travels at approx 1100 ft per second, so that comes out to about 0.9 milliseconds of delay for each foot difference. In other words, if the sub is let's say 5 feet closer to the crowd than the tops are, you would want to delay the sub by approx 5 x 0.9 = 4.5 milliseconds. If you were to have the situation where the sub was 5 feet BEHIND the tops, then you'd want to have no delay in the sub and 4.5 milliseconds on the tops. The part of the system that is closer to the crowd is the part that you need to delay.

Obviously, if everything is all the same distance, you don't use any delay.

If you want to get really picky with this.. you can end up dialing the delay up and down by small amounts (10ths or even 100ths of milliseconds) until it's just right. When I have time I do that.. but my system has remote control of that setting so I can really hear what I am doing from out in front of the system. For your situation, you can just kinda guess. Just multiply feet x 0.9 and dial it in. Since bass wavelengths are large, being off by a foot doesn't make a huge difference.

Thanks. I can actually set the delay by meters, feet, or milliseconds. To make it easy I will probably use feet. Chances are there won't be a difference in distance anyway so I may not have to mess with it. My tops do not have the ability to set a delay so I will just have to make sure my sub is either in front of or the same distance as the tops. Thanks for all your help.