Thread: Returning to DJing...Overwhelmed with Options

Returning to DJing...Overwhelmed with Options

Greetings all,

I am new to the forum. I was a DJ in a past life...some 20 years ago. I did bars and weddings mainly. In my spare time I enjoyed being creative and recorded mix tapes, back when they were actually tapes.

To illustrate my age I used a Gemini PMX 3500 and a Boss SP 202 sampler. Of course, I used Technics SL 1200s.

I have recently begun to get back into the hobby. Please note, I said “hobby” as I am not looking for jobs, purely as a way to be creative again in my spare time.

My mixing board is pretty much shot, it doesn’t work too well anymore. And while the sampler was impressive for its time, I feel there are better options out there.

I’m hoping I can get some feedback on my options or a route to go with new equipment, specifically a mixing board and sampler.

When mixing I enjoyed beatmixing and sampling random bits...layering each on top. The Boss SP 202 was good but I remember I was limited to only two samples being played at once. Ideally, I would like to play one to two samples at once during a mix, record, then playback and add more samples...

I’d love to see delay and slap back effects too.

I’m fairly certain there are plenty of options out there for me. The problem is, I’ve been out of the industry for so long I don’t even know where to begin, what brands are reputable, etc...

Any feedback on mixing boards or samplers would be most appreciative. Perhaps I don’t need a sampler, maybe a sequencer? Maybe I work solely from computer? Again not sure, there are so many options in this era.

My price point is max 2,000 US for each sampler and mixing board.
    6E54D708-4546-46D2-AA94-BA3AE5B84FC8.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]1944[/ATTACH
    Thanks all for any feedback
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, check out the Maschine from Native Instruments, also the Akai MPC for both digital and analogue connectivity. For mixers, the most popular with a broad price-bracket is the Pioneer; on your budget you can get a mixer that supports analogue and digital, with DVS support and USB ports for easy switch-over. All the best!

Welcome to the site. This is a great place to find information and get advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    Any feedback on mixing boards or samplers would be most appreciative. Perhaps I don’t need a sampler, maybe a sequencer? Maybe I work solely from computer?
    Going forward with today's technology - you will most likely require a laptop to store your music catalog.

If you want to continue to use your turntables - you may want to research DVS (digital vinyl systems) options: GENERAL OVERVIEW

However, another option is to combine media players and mixer with sampling capability and effects processing: a DJ controller: GENERAL GUIDE

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    My price point is max 2,000 US for each sampler and mixing board.
    Decent budget but as you already know - dj gear can eat all of that up depending which route you take.

Happy hunting.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Welcome to DJF, Stingray! Have some rep for a great first post.

Oh, what dlove said is legit.

Edit: Whoa, BDC came out of nowhere and also posted!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...