Thread: Speakers/amp help please

Speakers/amp help please

Hello djforums

Im totally new to this forum but i like it already.

I have a plan to setup a dj soundsystem.

My idea includes: An amplifier connected to a pair of passive speakers. I would somehow connect that to a passive sub which will be connected to an amplifier. Once this is all connected to eachother, i would connect it to a dj mixer and maybe a cdj or a turntable.

I have an idea of the speakers and subs that i am already interested in.

I own a Kam Kxr 1000 amplifier. Could i connect a pair of Jbl Jrx 225's to this amp?

Im interested in Cerwin Vega CVP 121X Subwoofer.
    Would the Crown XTi 2 4002 Power Amplifier be perfect to connect to this Cerwin Vega CVP 121X subwoofer? If so, could i connect another CVP 121X in future to this amp?

Thanks
    Last edited by soundsystem; 12-20-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Welcome to DJF!

Unfortunately you posted in the wrong section so I had to move it to the Amp/Speaker section where you should get better feedback.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Hi Mark

Ok thank you.

Will this be a mobile setup or something installed and not moved afterwords?
    Why are you considering these specific speakers?
    Why are you not considering powered speakers?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

They won't be moved for a while. I like these speakers. I owned a Jbl speaker similar to these and sounded really good.

Im not totally sure about the powered type speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsystem View Post
    They won't be moved for a while.
    Do you already own any of this equipment? What is your budget?

To properly utilize the passive speakers you selected a crossover would be necessary at the very least but it would be a good idea to have something that provides limiting as well to minimize blown drivers, all that can be accomplished with a PA processor but the level of success you have depends upon your knowledge, experience, and skill in configuring it. And with the tops high passed as they should be there is no real need for a dual 15, a single 15" or even a 12" will provide all the output necessary to compliment the sub/s, unless you are going for a certain look of course.

If you opt for powered speakers instead, setup and operation becomes much simpler, no external amplifiers or processing is required and the danger of blown drivers is greatly diminished as the engineers have done all that work for you and incorporated protection in the onboard processing.

I have no experience with the Cerwin Vega speakers mentioned, but the experience I have with the brand overall is not great so I can't recommend them. You can also do a lot better than the JRX line from JBL, the high frequency drivers used in this line are pretty awful actually... cheap, not great sounding and way to easy to blow.

Whatever brand you eventually settle on I would suggest purchasing your whole speaker system from one manufacturer, this is especially important with powered speakers as they typically include processing specifically designed to work best with other models in their lineup.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I own a Kam amp and a Jbl Jrx Speaker which has now been discontinued.

Which crossover and pa processor would you recommend?

I don't have any experience using a crossover and pa processor. So I would need all the help I could get setting it up.

The Jbl and Cerwin Vega speakers I have been around, I liked.

Which crossover and pa processor would you recommend?
    A Behringer DCX2496 or a DBX Driverack. The DCX has more flexable routing and better speaker control features and most people say sounds better than the DRPA, if you step up to the DBX Venue360 you get much of the same but this unit costs almost 3 times as much as a DCX.

The Jbl and Cerwin Vega speakers I have been around, I liked.
    Me too for the most part, no big complaints about the sound but believe it or not almost every single CV box I have ever seen has blown it's drivers at some point or another, and that experience goes back into the early '80s. I have not seen that problem with the JBL SR or SRX cabs I have heard or used over the years, those things are durable but they are quite expensive too, and I really like the PRX series powered speakers I have seen and heard.

I don't have any experience using a crossover and pa processor. So I would need all the help I could get setting it up.
    That is a concern, you stand to blow a few speakers before you learn where the limits are, I know I did. I currently own a double 15 over double 18 passive speaker system, it sounds great and gets crazy loud but it is also reliable because I have 30 years of experience that has taught me what components are needed to achieve that. I also own a selection of modern powered speaker systems that get used all year long by DJs and occassionally with a live band, the performance available with these really is quite impressive and the convenience is undeniable, you owe it to yourself to at least check them out. Add up the cost of the speakers, amps and processing you propose buying and then look at what you can get in powered speakers for the same money. CV makes powered versions of those 21" subs for example.
    Last edited by conanski; 12-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com