Thread: Need recommendations on how to setup my speakers for 400 ppl

Need recommendations on how to setup my speakers for 400 ppl

Hey guys.

I will have a big xmas party coming. 400 ppl with different ages ranging from 20 to 60. I need to cover dinner music + speeches and dance music after. Obviously some of the 400 will leave when the dance will happen like they usually do.

I have these speakers and need your input on how you would use and position them.

2x EV EKX 12P
    2x EV EKX 15p
    2x EV EKX 15sp

I can barely carry them all but they fit in my van. I can not afford anything else. I have never mixed my 12 and 15 tops in the past so not sure how it would work out? I am also a bit concerned if I use them all on the dance floor people in the back might not hear speeches too well. Input?

The room is a big school lunch room with ceiling about 8-10 high.

Thank you very much!!!

I just did a similar sized event(350) in a double ballroom. Put the 12's over the subs at the dance floor and put the 15's at the back of the room pointed across or half way along the side walls aimed back, whatever you do don't point them straight back towards the dance floor. I also put the back speakers on a separate output so I can turn them down relative to the mains, works well and everybody can hear, if you don't have a separate mixer output to use you can daisychain the speakers from the mains, but either way you will need a couple hundred feet of XLR cable.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Too bad the EKX line doesn't have the adjustable time alignment delay settings as found on the ETX line to help align the remote speakers with the main dance floor speakers. But yes, as conanski explained it is exactly how I set up the speakers in the same scenario (12" + sub at dancefloor, 15" as delay midway up the hall facing away from the dancefloor & towards the rear of the hall) except for the past year I have been experimenting with using the Alto Stealth Wireless system https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless with great results (same can't be said about the Alto Total system that has been hit & miss & I wouldn't trust for anything other than small backyard family functions) for use on my remote delay packs to save on having to run long runs of XLR cables. The newer version, the Alto Stealth Wireless Pro system looks to be an even better design with better antennae & built in time alignment delay settings, the only issue so far being able to find a system in stock (that said I am getting by OK using the basic system for now & am even considering picking up the expansion pack sometime in the new year).
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Thank you guys. Any reason why you wouldnt recommend for instance to put the 15 HIGHER on poles along the 12 and subs in front of dance floor. Their heigh would cover a little more and no xlr involved or delay?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey78 View Post
    Any reason why you wouldnt recommend for instance to put the 15 HIGHER on poles along the 12 and subs in front of dance floor.
    Several reasons.
    You have to make it really loud at the front to reach the back of the room which is going to be uncomfortable at the very least for those near the front. Ideally you do want delay on those downfield speakers but even without it the results will be more acceptable to the guests than a PA blasting away at the front.

Multiple speakers covering the same area creates comb filtering which is interference patterns in the coverage area. There are speaker types with narrow coverage patterns that are designed to be deployed this way but the common 2-way powered box isn't one of those, these splash sound in an uneven 60-120 deg pattern that makes it difficult to correctly array multiple boxes. if you are covering a really wide room then arraying your speakers in a wide fan from 1 location does work well, but in rooms that are deeper than they are wide from your booth location you really need speakers placed further down the room.
    Last edited by conanski; 12-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Too bad the EKX line doesn't have the adjustable time alignment delay settings as found on the ETX line to help align the remote speakers with the main dance floor speakers.
    Yes... I agree. I could hear the reverb generated by my downfield speakers at the setup I did on Friday, I have used my DCX in the past to fix that but I didn't have it with me this time out. I'm hoping to get a digital mixer soon and this type of thing will be easy to do using an aux output and wireless control.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Yes... I agree. I could hear the reverb generated by my downfield speakers at the setup I did on Friday, I have used my DCX in the past to fix that but I didn't have it with me this time out. I'm hoping to get a digital mixer soon and this type of thing will be easy to do using an aux output and wireless control.
    I will be treating myself to a QSC Touchmix early next year, have already downloaded the manual & read it, watched set up tip videos as well as read up on the recent firmware update for them that added a number of features. To say I am really looking forward to this purchase is an understatement, if only I didn't spoil my kids as much as I do every Christmas then I would of had extra cash to order one for myself as a Christmas present.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta