Thread: FCC Court Orders About 600 MHz Restrictions for Mics Have Loop Holes

FCC Court Orders About 600 MHz Restrictions for Mics Have Loop Holes

Greetings DJForums:

I have been MIA for months approaching a year with domestic stuff. I need to sign in more to be updated on DJ news.

If DJ Forum members know this then great but I want to share some detail in the FCC document that I originally overlooked that someone recently pointed out to me.

There was always an exclusion for the 700 MHz Auction/Restriction/(No More Wireless Mic ) that also applies to the 600 MHz restrictions.

In the court order documents (there are several) which have a case caption like any other court order, search for "watt". For example, find FCC documents that contain court orders: FCC-10-16A1 or DA-10-92A1 (there are other orders).

Our DJ wireless mics fall under the exclusion for "unlicensed basis under part 15 of the rules" if (1) the wireless mic output does not exceed 50 mW (50 milliWatts) and (2) the wireless mic is not protected from interference and (3) the wireless mic does not interfere with non government or government. Shure's ULX mics which have been some of their best mics in the last 15+ years are rated at 30 mW max. My Shure mics (2 UT series UHF close to 20 years old but still work Ok for DJing) are rated as 15 mW. Check the RF mW output power rating on your mics. They are likely under 50 mW.

We need to worry if someone at one of our events has a mobile device on a new (600 MHz, 700 MHz) mobile network. T-Mobile accounts in NYC will be an issue. T-Mobile was given permission to start using the 600 MHz network last month (11/2018). It will only get worst.

The point of this post is that "a court order" is a court order. Lawyers win cases by splitting hairs. No DJ should ever get a $10,000 fine from the FCC because of the "unlicensed basis under part 15 of the rules" could protect us. This makes sense because what about low powered kid's toys? Should big money cell phone companies force you to throw away kid's toys? The 8th Amendment of the USA Constitution says: Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I cannot yet find a court case online where a DJ paid the $10,000 fine. Good mics have a range of about 300 feet unless it is a Wifi mic which gets about 100 feet. What is the likelihood that someone at your event in the near future will be using the new network and be close to your frequency? Most mics are rated to two decimal places (e.g. 625.76 MHz). Pick a radio station then tune away 0.3 Mhz and see what happens.

There is reason to believe that many DJs will be able to slip thru the cracks with no interference and keep our 600 MHz mics. Some of us will get ugly distortion if someone at your event is using the new network within striking range. I'm not sure about to what degree mobile devices constantly change frequencies for better signals; this could be good and bad. The FCC is making concessions for consumers with "low powered" stuff in the restricted frequencies because these things are unlikely to interfere with business.

Sorry for long post but ...

The Diplomat

Good info to have on this. Thanks for posting. Rep given.

Oh, & welcome back!
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Greetings:

I found some more info for "unlicensed basis under part 15 of the rules for waivers".

The most recent court order I could find for the 600 MHz restrictions is dated 7/13/2017 [edit] [wrong: 7/15/2018]. It is called FCC-17-95. I need to make a critical update because I found in this court order that Shure and Sennheiser said that they could easily make some 600 Mhz mics compliant in the field with software (I overlooked this condition for the Part 15 rule for waivers). Shure's conversion tool can only eliminate available frequencies in the system; it cannot add other frequencies. And the tool only works for their top of the line mics (ULX-D, Axient, QLX-D, PSM 1000). This will not help most of us even if under 50 mW (TV bands) or under 20 mW (600 band). I cannot find anyone selling crystals to change the frequency for a fixed frequency mic. This would be a good time for crystal sellers to make a killing. We have until 7/2020 to use 600 MHz outside of the Duplex Band (below 617 MHz) or the Guard Band (657 - 663 MHz [edit] error:657-653) unless in a market with early approval for 600 MHz conversion.

If anyone knows of a place selling crystals to change fixed frequencies, please post it.

Bummer,
    The Diplomat
    Last edited by TheDiplomat; 12-17-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo

This is some informative stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    I hung up the gloves a long time ago!

typos (2)

Guard Band for unlicensed 657 - 663 MHz.

The court order is dated 7/13/2017 (adopted) & 7/14/2017 (released) ... 7/15/2017 is wrong. Online enter: "FCC 17-95" & the pdf should appear.

The Diplomat