Thread: Very loud electrical noise interference

Very loud electrical noise interference

Hi there,

At a bit of a loss with this one, so any help here would be appreciated.

I have 2x Stanton Str8-150 turntables (bought second hand), a Numark m3 mixer (bought new) and 2x KRK Rokit 5 speakers (bought new).

The turntables and mixer are plugged into an extension together. The speakers are plugged into another extension together. These extensions are plugged into the same wall socket.

I have recorded and uploaded the sound I'm getting https://soundcloud.com/neufunkaum26/home/s-GE4uy.

The sound is coming from one channel on the mixer, not the other. Initially, the sound wasn't there when I played the first two records. Then when I stopped the first and went to play the third, the noise appeared. The turntable of this channel played fine earlier when it was the only turntable connected to the mixer.

Both turntables are set to phono, both channels on mixer also set to phono.

Keeps happening and is putting me off going near them quite frankly!

Is this a turntable issue or a mixer issue, and can anyone tell what the issue is exactly?

Any help would honestly be very appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Peter

To begin with, swap the swap cartridges between decks, see if the problems moves or not. Then if there is no change, swap turntables AND cables around. Let us know what happens at this point, but you should get close to troubleshooting the thing.

are your stantons grounded via the switch at the back or not?

Greetings Peter,

It sounds like a ground (earth) loop. Have you tried swapping the turntables, i.e. plugging them into the opposite inputs to see if the noise is associated with the turntable or the mixer? If the noise is, for example, on channel 1, when you swap the leads does it appear on channel 2? If yes, the issue is probably with that turntable. If not, it might be the mixer channel that's at fault.

If it is the mixer, the good news is that you should be able to take it back to the store and have it fixed or replaced under warranty. If it's the turntable, you might have to find someone locally that can repair it for you. It could be a simple fix, e.g. replacing the ground lead, which is something that you could probably do yourself. HTH

Edit: looks like Manu beat me to it...

+1 on Manu's and Spy's advice.

I'd also add, check the snugness of the rca's connections to the terminals of the mixer and / or tt's. I've found that if they're slightly loose they may give ground issues as well.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,