Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DJ Crews?

Quote Originally Posted by thatdanmoore View Post
    It seems like now a days there are more loosely affiliated cliques. They may have a name for themselves but they aren't promoting it.
    sadly, it seems people are more about self-promotion than crew promotion these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    sadly, it seems people are more about self-promotion than crew promotion these days.
    Facts. It’s all about self promotion and biting off what you saw/heard your friend do nowadays. Back in the day your crew might rep a certain style but you weren’t all biting off each other and calling the others wackk

Facts. It’s all about self promotion and biting off what you saw/heard your friend do nowadays. Back in the day your crew might rep a certain style but you weren’t all biting off each other and calling the others wackk
    I know. It's Dog Eat Dog, when we should be roaming about as a gang, name-checking the fk out of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I know. It's Dog Eat Dog, when we should be roaming about as a gang, name-checking the fk out of everything.
    Exactly. I’ve tried to preach it. But it falls on deaf ears. Everyone is just lookin our for number 1.

Exactly. I’ve tried to preach it. But it falls on deaf ears. Everyone is just lookin our for number 1.
    totally get you. It's really horrible when you put time and energy into getting others up to speed, only to have them steal your grave in an instant.

That’s why you always have to keep a trick or two up your sleeves.

Everything in the world - you gotta work hard for it
    Last edited by Dix; 01-20-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: edited for rule 2 - language

The value of a crew is two things that I can think of:

#1 if you are producing events of your own, having a group of people doing it together provides the manpower, money and promotional network you need.. especially for smaller scenes.

And #2: If your crew gets a good name then the promotional power of that name comes with you when you dj elsewhere, which increases your value as a DJ and gets you slots. And then it also increases the desirability of the slots you have for booking other DJ's.

But if you are not producing events as a crew then the value becomes a lot more dubious, I mean, if you are trying to get a resident slot working for a club why should they care about your "crew"? They only care if putting that crew name next to your name on a poster is going to bring people into the club.

Record label affiliations are often useful tho.

That’s why you always have to keep a trick or two up your sleeves.
    Yep; share what you know and learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    The value of a crew is two things that I can think of:

#1 if you are producing events of your own, having a group of people doing it together provides the manpower, money and promotional network you need.. especially for smaller scenes.

And #2: If your crew gets a good name then the promotional power of that name comes with you when you dj elsewhere, which increases your value as a DJ and gets you slots. And then it also increases the desirability of the slots you have for booking other DJ's...
    Totally agree with light-o-matic's two points above, and that has been the experience in my crew. Some in the crew are better at getting individual opportunities than others and I think we all understand and accept that. But we also try not to step on each other. We'd probably all agree that by working together we've all benefited individually. And we have a good time doing it.