Thread: studiomaster drive 15a or Alto TS315

studiomaster drive 15a or Alto TS315

▶alto ts315◀

I am looking at purchasing a pair of 15inch speakers as the music genre that is played is mostly hip hop/RNB and the odd EDM.

I was just about to purchase a pair the Alto TS315 when a so called DJ stated that Alto are overrated and how people say that their speakers are great for the money. I was advised best to go with the Studio Master Drive 15sa as you can push these speakers and wont give up unlike the Altos, when looking at the specs they weren't anywhere near the Alto, however i was advised that the Studio master Drive 15SA is measured when the Alto product are calculated and over exaggerated.

I couldn't find any reviews online and this is perhaps someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Can someone help. I am looking at alternatives but my budget is between £600-£700 for a pair but am leaning towards Alto.

studiomaster drive 15a or Alto TS315

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatzuu View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a pair of 15inch speakers as the music genre that is played is mostly hip hop/RNB and the odd EDM.

I was just about to purchase a pair the Alto TS315 when a so called DJ stated that Alto are overrated and how people say that their speakers are great for the money. I was advised best to go with the Studio Master Drive 15sa as you can push these speakers and wont give up unlike the Altos, when looking at the specs they weren't anywhere near the Alto, however i was advised that the Studio master Drive 15SA is measured when the Alto product are calculated and over exaggerated.

I couldn't find any reviews online and this is perhaps someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Can someone help. I am looking at alternatives but my budget is between £600-£700 for a pair but am leaning towards Alto.
    OK... I won’t tell you what you should do. You’ll find DJ’s opinions are all over the place and often in conflict. What I can tell you is what I did wrong so perhaps you can avoid making the same mistake...

First of all, my first speakers were a pair a JBL 15”s, but discovered they sounded muddy when played loudly... insufficient high and mid range. I bought a pair of Alto TS112W’s and they sounded much better than the JBL’s, but when I added two 15” subs, I discovered the subs sounded better when paired with 10” speakers, so I only used the 12” speakers when not using subs. The JBL’s were relegated to backup duty, which meant they never got used again.

I’m not familiar with Studio Master Drive 15’s so I can’t comment on them, but you’re right... the specs are not even close to the Alto TS315’s or 312’s. I used my Alto’s for 3 years and they never failed me once. I know other DJ’s who use the TS212’s and love them. I know one DJ who bought the TS312 for a monitor and said it sounded like crap. I thought my Alto’s sounded better than another friend’s K12’s. With the Alto’s, if you set your gain structure correctly, and do not drive them harder than they were designed for, they are great. One reason I would be leery about the newer Alto’s though, is they increased the power, but removed the cooling fans. The fans in my TS112W’s only ran intermittently, but they did run, so obviously the speaker was getting hot. I don’t get how you can increase power and reduce cooling... doesn’t make sense to me.

That’s my 2 cents.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 11-28-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    OK... I won’t tell you what you should do. You’ll find DJ’s opinions are all over the place and often in conflict. What I can tell you is what I did wrong so perhaps you can avoid making the same mistake...

First of all, my first speakers were a pair a JBL 15”s, but discovered they sounded muddy when played loudly... insufficient high and mid range. I bought a pair of Alto TS112W’s and they sounded much better than the JBL’s, but when I added two 15” subs, I discovered the subs sounded better when paired with 10” speakers, so I only used the 12” speakers when not using subs. The JBL’s were relegated to backup duty, which meant they never got used again.

I’m not familiar with Studio Master Drive 15’s so I can’t comment on them, but you’re right... the specs are not even close to the Alto TS315’s or 312’s. I used my Alto’s for 3 years and they never failed me once. I know other DJ’s who use the TS212’s and love them. I know one DJ who bought the TS312 for a monitor and said it sounded like crap. I thought my Alto’s sounded better than another friend’s K12’s. With the Alto’s, if you set your gain structure correctly, and do not drive them harder than they were designed for, they are great. One reason I would be leery about the newer Alto’s though, is they increased the power, but removed the cooling fans. The fans in my TS112W’s only ran intermittently, but they did run, so obviously the speaker was getting hot. I don’t get how you can increase power and reduce cooling... doesn’t make sense to me.

That’s my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the reply. After doing some searching ive.found reviews on the tweeters blowing on the ts3 series. Upon this topic i was approached by someone offering me EV ZLX15. Not heard of these in person but the specs dont look that great.
    Any advice on what i shoul stay away from?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatzuu View Post
    Thanks for the reply. After doing some searching ive.found reviews on the tweeters blowing on the ts3 series. Upon this topic i was approached by someone offering me EV ZLX15. Not heard of these in person but the specs dont look that great.
    Any advice on what i shoul stay away from?
    Personally, I’d stay away from 15” speakers and go for 12’s. The EV’s are good. I know guys who swear by them. With 12” speakers, you’ll get good clear audio now, and will be able to pair them with a sub (or two) as you have the resources. With 15’s they’ll be OK, but not enough bass to be satisfying, and not enough highs and mids to make them worth pairing with subs, so they’ll likely end up like my JBL’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kinds of events are you planning to use these speakers for? Is this for home use, small parties and stuff or actual DJ events in larger rooms? 2-way PA speakers like these will get loud but they won't sound very clear with bass heavy music, I have used similar speakers at house parties and there they were enough to generate noise complaints from neighbors, but in a hall of any size they just don't have enough output. On top of that for modern popular music genres a sub really isn't optional so I think you would be much better off buying a single Turbosound IP2000 than any of the other boxes mentioned, and add a second one when funds allow if you think it is needed.
    Last edited by conanski; 11-29-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com