Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Jump from Bedroom DJ to First Gig (tech house/techno)

Awesome mate is sounds like you have loads of experience!

Ye you're definitly right about the 3rd deck or the djs 1000 I think, It gives me something to work towards though. I'll just concentrate on the basics for now. All I'm about at the moment really is beatmatching, transitioning and nice long blends (and over using the filter, phaser and flanger lol). I love having two techno tracks layered for 2/3 minutes (when I get it right) and it's only something I've started doing in the last month..I can't help but thinking how awesome it would be start trying to layer a third track in there!!!! Hahha.

Ooh and I've started trying double drops. When they work they are awesome but Im finding them hard to time properly.

I've become totally absorbed in trying to dj now it's almost like an addiction! It's a shame life and work get in the way!! I could literally spend all day every day practising! My MRS thinks I'm bonkers
    Last edited by Jambon; 12-05-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Yeah I've been DJing at a decent level for more than 20 years, played out for about ten of those. Am in semi-retirement now.

Thinking about it last night, if you really want to get some more DJ tech i'd suggest buying some top end new headphones if your other ones are knackered.

I use HD-25s for my producing/Ableton work on my Mac but find them a little flimsy for playing out. I bought a pair of Vero Moda M100s a couple of years back as I gave my little brother my A&H cans I'd been using. They are amazing.

I played a club night at my little brother's uni a couple of years back, back when he was taking DJing seriously lol - and I enjoyed my set but my cans got lost at the end of my set. I figured one of the soapdodging students had half-inched them out of the booth. At the end of the night the bouncer came over and passed them to me. They were in the middle of the dancefloor (fcuk knows how) and had had people dancing and stomping on them for an hour or so. I plugged the cable back into them, popped the driver cups back into the metal frames and wiped the mud and skank off them and they were good as new. Unreal build quality, truly jawdropping. They sound great too - really good isolation which is important for playing out. I really like them. I only went to buy them as a stopgap until I could get a proper pair when I went back to UK for a weekend but they are honestly the best cans I've owned. Amazing bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post

over using the filter, phaser and flanger lol
    You can never have enough flange in your life. Fact.

Can quite easily overuse them in a DJ set but same is not true of filters - I fell in love with the filters on my old A&H Xone92 and they are different level again on the DB4. If youre a techno/prog/tech-house DJ filters are the best thing ever. Better than sex.

Well ok not that good but hahahaha

Your headphones sound resilient! I'm hopefully getting a new pair this month lol

My mixing every night this week has been quite poor, I banged my head on the weekend but I doubt it's that , I suppose i've only started properly four or five months ago so it's going to be off and on. I had a much better mix tonight though. I mixed a combination of whatever tracks really across keys (tech house/ techno), I did struggle a little with some heavy techno tracks which I only just managed to beatmatch, there was just way to much going on. But all in all I think I'm improving gradually and there weren't any major train wrecks but quite a few minor mistakes! There were one or two tracks that I haven't been able to mix up until now but mixed them ok tonight. Still learning how to isolate certain noises when tracks have a million things going on. Heavy techno just seems to sound like it's over powering everything! I supose just mixing everything and everything across keys and techno/tech house is good practice? I feel like it's making me use the eqs to get as good a gel between the tracks.

Know your tunes (bpm's, in and out points, map them if you have the gear), know your equipment well, and practice practice practice. It's really tough to get your foot in the door and often working in clubs can be unrewarding (club managers are often tough cookies I've found). But it's a great feeling to spend all night doing what you love, taking them on a journey, making everyone's evening, and getting paid decent money for it. It likely won't be your only job but if you feel you're ready you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Maybe start posting mixes on ytube or mixcloud if you don't have a club gig yet as that will be your resume until you do. Good luck.

I'm from a University and I would ask organizations if they would like me to DJ at their events and from there I learned a lot of things. Also this strategy is good for a beginner since you can experiment your songs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by imherman View Post
    I'm from a University and I would ask organizations if they would like me to DJ at their events and from there I learned a lot of things. Also this strategy is good for a beginner since you can experiment your songs and such.
    Good point I did that too and had a lot of success and leads, and mostly forgiving crowds.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips