View Poll Results: Would you download an application that lets the crowd request songs?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

4 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song request Application

Post Song request Application

Dear All,

I've got a few questions for you about a song request application, please answer those questions:

1. Would you download an application that lets the crowd request songs? (Yes / No)

2. How often would you use an application that lets the crowd request songs? (In every gig / Occasionally / Not at all)

3. In each gig's playlist, how many songs would you reveal and leave open for requests? (I wouldn't reveal my playlist / Less than half of the playlist / half of the playlist / Most of the playlist)

4. In each gig, how many songs would you allow each one to request? (Less than 5 songs per gig / Between 5 and 10 songs per gig / More than 10 songs per gig)

1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No

Quote Originally Posted by Sagi View Post
    1. Would you download an application that lets the crowd request songs? (Yes / No)
    No. I already have an old school request sheet process in place. I get more requests now than I can play. People are not as likely to come up in person & write a request down on a sheet. With an app, I'd have 10 times more requests than I have now. With an app, no one knows how many requests have already been made & are ahead of theirs. With a paper request sheet, they can see & I dont get hounded as much. With an app, I wouldnt be able to DJ for all the requests coming in.

2. How often would you use an application that lets the crowd request songs? (In every gig / Occasionally / Not at all)
    Not Ever.

3. In each gig's playlist, how many songs would you reveal and leave open for requests? (I wouldn't reveal my playlist / Less than half of the playlist / half of the playlist / Most of the playlist)
    I dont reveal my play list. I let people write down their request & if I have it & its appropriate for the event, I play it. If not, obviously it dont get played. I either have it or I dont.

4. In each gig, how many songs would you allow each one to request? (Less than 5 songs per gig / Between 5 and 10 songs per gig / More than 10 songs per gig)
    No way to stop or control that. If 8 selfish teenage girls are at a table, and each girl wants to request 50 songs, once Suzie gets to the limit, she will just have Sally make her requests until she reaches the limit. By the time all eight giggling girls request a song every 30 seconds & reach their limit, they go bat their eyes at horny little Johnny & have him request his limit. The process continues until you have more songs than you can play in two days much less in 3 or 4 hours.... and, again, you're spending all your time fooling with requests rather than focusing on DJing.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    No. I already have an old school request sheet process in place. I get more requests now than I can play. People are not as likely to come up in person & write a request down on a sheet. With an app, I'd have 10 times more requests than I have now. With an app, no one knows how many requests have already been made & are ahead of theirs. With a paper request sheet, they can see & I dont get hounded as much. With an app, I wouldnt be able to DJ for all the requests coming in.

Not Ever.

I dont reveal my play list. I let people write down their request & if I have it & its appropriate for the event, I play it. If not, obviously it dont get played. I either have it or I dont.

No way to stop or control that. If 8 selfish teenage girls are at a table, and each girl wants to request 50 songs, once Suzie gets to the limit, she will just have Sally make her requests until she reaches the limit. By the time all eight giggling girls request a song every 30 seconds & reach their limit, they go bat their eyes at horny little Johnny & have him request his limit. The process continues until you have more songs than you can play in two days much less in 3 or 4 hours.... and, again, you're spending all your time fooling with requests rather than focusing on DJing.
    Thank you!
    Why wouldn't reveal your play list? Are you afraid that people will copy the list and use it? What if the play list was copy protected?
    Would you rather revealing a request list instead of play list?
    And what about time limited requests? (For instance, there's 5 min waiting time between the requests)
    Last edited by Sagi; 11-23-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No
    Thanks a lot!

Why wouldn't reveal your play list? Are you afraid that people will copy the list and use it? What if the play list was copy protected?
    Why would I? At a typical event, I load about 22,000 songs. No one is going to sit at an event & scroll through 20,000+ songs.
    Ok, so the list is searchable. If they are searching songs, they aint going to be dancing. Just request your song. If I have it, Ill play it if it fits the event.

And what about time limited requests? (For instance, there's 5 min waiting time between the requests)
    Five minutes between requests? Eight giggling school girls at a table can still request almost 2 songs per minute. Again, going through all the requests... When am I gonna DJ?
    Do you realize how many giggling girls are at a 20 year olds wedding or at a high school prom etc? Eight girls at 10 tables is 80 girls making requests. That's almost 20 songs per minute. We haven't even start talking about horny little Johnny & his table of friends who wants to pump Suzie after the event, yet.
    Now look, I know its not going to be constant requests for 4 hours but I think you get the idea that I am getting at. You ever watched 3 or 4 girls at a table with smart phones? There are all but smokin'. If they have the option to text requests to the DJ, its going to be a night mare.

I totally understand your idea of this app to text requests. There has been 1,000,000 other people to have the same idea. On the face, its basically a good idea to make it convenient for your guests but, it wont work. Smart phones have been around for 25 years, as have DJ's & people making requests & there is no such thing on the market. There is a reason for that.

Thanks again!

Your welcome. Glad I could help.

1. Would you download an application that lets the crowd request songs?
    I voted NO. I believe such an app would empower the audience too much.

If you cannot get the crowd up and dancing - then you either lack the proper material (music) or you are incorrectly reading the audience.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Last time I checked, it's called a jukebox.