Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Matching No Visuals

Beat Matching No Visuals

Just when I thought I had this pretty much down (90% of the time) I've had a couple of really bad practice sessions. I've been buying new music and mixing house, tech house and techno. Just feels so frustrating. I can mix for half an hour no probs and then a track will just throw me off (i'll think ive got it sorted in my headphones and then as I'm bringing it in it'll drift off really fast and ill train wreck). I've notived when Im transitioning I'm having to use the jogs loads.

Apart from the usual practise are there any kinda practise methods to learn how to beatmatch faster and more accurately?

Unfortunately, this happens to every DJ... don't be discouraged.

You don't need visual beat grids to beat match - just your ears. You will know if it's on beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
    Apart from the usual practise are there any kinda practise methods to learn how to beatmatch faster and more accurately?
    Sadly, there is no way to expedite one's learning curve when it comes to beat matching. Many hours of persistence and an intimate knowledge of each track (its breaks, phrases, etc) is mandatory prep for any set.

If you really want to challenge yourself - try mixing 70s and early 80s funk and disco...
    Having even moderate success with those genres will make mixing contemporary tracks seem so much easier.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Run the tracks together in your headphones the whole time you're waiting to mix them. Cue it, drop it (in your headphones) and let them run together.. you can mix them with the EQ's in the headphones.. not touching the track that's playing of course... run them together a while, adjust it till it's perfect (as close as you can get), then recue and do it again.. use all the time you have between tracks doing this.

Start the track fast and slow it down until you got it.

Somebody showed me this technique a long time ago and it works for me when spinning vinyl.

Check out the old school ellaskins dj tutorials on youtube for tips though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ye I'll try not to get to discouraged and just keep practising. I started this year but been more serious about it the last 4/5 months, I'm assuming one day it's just going to click? At least I'm at a point where I can mix for half hour or so with no mess ups. I thought I had this completely sorted though until I got new tracks!! lol

I find it easier with both tracks playing in the headphones. Where as the one cup method I seem to struggle with. Sould I practise both methods or just stick to what I find easier?

the problem with playing through the headphones is when you're playing out there is a tiny chance that the channel is not coming through; usually by forgetting to crossfade. Also, the levels are harder to distinguish just using headphones; it might sound perfect in them, but the actual sound in the room might come through lower. These all sound 'bread and butter' but when you're playing out, sht happens!

Whilst practising today the same tracks have been throwing me off...here's an example.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8wHtB1_L4

So I seem to do ok on the majority of my other tracks but this one along with 2 or 3 other similar tracks to this.... it just sounds awful when im transitioning them lol.

Any ideas?

If I adjust the jog both forwards and backwards it just sounds worse both ways. I don't mind getting this wrong but I like to understand why so I can learn. But this track is a mystery I just cant transition it right.

HELP!
    Last edited by Jambon; 11-20-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
    If I adjust the jog both forwards and backwards it just sounds worse both ways.
    What exactly do you mean by this?

It's like I'm really struggling to find the sweet spot on the track where it's perfectly beat matched. But the spot at which it sounds it's best it still sounds clippy and off, but to a lesser degree. So the spot at which I get the least clipping I adjust the jog either clockwise or anti clockwise and it get's worse either way. So I suppose I just can't find the sweet spot lol. Where as with other tracks you can tell straight away when they are perfectly matched!! Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jambon; 11-21-2018 at 11:51 AM.

I don't know what genre you play, but it could just be the track with a weird drum pattern.

There are some tracks I have to stay on the pitch and jog wheels for the whole transition - just babysit it and keep them in tune.