Thread: Does any controller do this? Split audio?

Does any controller do this? Split audio?

I’m wondering, do any controller have the option to send audio from each channel out so that I could hook it up to my regular mixer and mix the tunes there?

I’m even wondering if it would be possible on my Numark NV. Maybe “Main” could be channel 1 and “Booth” channel 2. I doubt it’s possible, but it would be a dope function to have imo.

Are you talking about a controller or a soundcard?
    Controllers don't mix audio.

If you are talking about using some all-in-one system just as a soundcard, then as long as it has two outputs and with the right drivers I'm sure it is feasible. But it kind of defeats the object of the controller. Also hopping between two mixing devices to control the mix and FX etc, would be horrible.

A lot of mixers have midi built in to control software, plus they can be used for audio/control with the flick of a switch.
    Hell, my Nuo4 is over a decade old and I can do all this. If I want some more tactile controls I just use my phone to add some midi stuff.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
    I’m wondering, do any controller have the option to send audio from each channel out so that I could hook it up to my regular mixer and mix the tunes there?
    Two channels can be done: one track main out and second track via headphones... but why?

Pete's right - doing so doesn't really make sense. If you want to mix via mixer, use a sound interface to output as many decks as you'd like and a mixer. Think SL2, SL3, SL4 or Traktor Audio 6 or 10. That was their purpose.

The purpose of a controller is to provide a familiar interface (knobs, buttons, sliders, etc.) for DJs to use because all mixing occurs within the computer and using a mouse isn't the same feeling as using a familiar interface.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

It's really a question of whether the software will do it, not the controller.

It's understood that the controller is really two devices one.. the audio interface, and the control surface.
    If the software is willing to use just the audio interface to output the two decks directly.. without emulating the mixer in software.. it can do that.

For example, Traktor DJ has an External Mixer mode where it will do just that, to any compatible 4 channel audio interface. Presumably that includes the audio interface in any controller that normally works with Traktor....

https://support.native-instruments.c...ith-TRAKTOR-DJ

That is why Traktor sells their Audio 2 Interface. You could for example use just the keyboard and mouse to control Traktors decks and mix on a regular mixer.

You could also probably use a Traktor-compatible controller to control the decks and still use an external mixer, and the mixer section of the controller would just do nothing.. the software would ignore it. I'm not sure about that.. but likely. But Traktor sells controllers that just controls the decks.. without any mixer controls...

Probably most people with full size Traktor controllers don't bother using external mode because it would just be awkward.

So that's Traktor. Other software has different capabilities. I know that VDJ Pro has a lot of flexibility with sound card assignment. Serato DJ, Rekordbox etc I don't know.

I like using a regular mixer, so I have a laptop set up with Traktor and hot keys to simulate two CDJ's as light-o-matic has described. Using external mixing mode, the output goes through an Audio 2 into two channels on the mixer. I use this at home when sorting through tracks and testing mixes, but have used it in clubs and just plugged into the club mixer. If the mixer is a DJM900 or better, Traktor will recognize it as a sound card, so with a USB cable, you can skip the separate sound card and go straight from the laptop into the mixer and use up to four channels. This laptop only setup works really well, and if you take it to a club, it has a very small footprint in the booth.

The point of doing it would be to simulate having two cdjs booked up. It would be nice doing all the mixing in just one spot, instead of switching between the controller and the regular mixer. It’s ok though, I do t think my Numark NV with Serato will let me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
    It would be nice doing all the mixing in just one spot, instead of switching between the controller and the regular mixer.
    You shouldn't ever have to use a "regular" mixer if you have a controller. The software acts as the mixer. While I can understand a controller going to a house mixer so that all existing audio distribution remains in place OR if you want to expand on the number of microphones - but most don't do either of those. The software and controller are the setup... no other mixer required.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...