Thread: KALLAX IKEA hack! Suggestions please!

KALLAX IKEA hack! Suggestions please!

Hi DJF DIYers!

I've been thinking of adding a table top to my Kallax unit. I know there are some plans out there already, showing how that can be done. However, the parts in those plans are not all availbable in Ikea China.

Specifically the slanted Capita feet I've seen some use to lift and place the table top on are not availble here.

My plan is to buy a solid wood table top that reaches out 4cm all around the Kallax. What I'm not sure about is how I can attache this table top to the Kallax not using the Capita legs from Ikea.

I would like some suggestions on what I can use instead

Do the feet have to be slanted out? If not, you could use straight pipe cut to your desired length, threaded on both ends with thread-on flanges to bolt to the Kallax and table top.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Do the feet have to be slanted out? If not, you could use straight pipe cut to your desired length, threaded on both ends with thread-on flanges to bolt to the Kallax and table top.
    Ok, cool, thanks. I've found those flange things online here. But now I'm considering gluing the table top straight on to the top of the Kallax, or maybe screw it in.

I've ordered the table top so I'll try both having it elevated and straight on top before commiting to drilling holes etc.

Just as a reference, I did a complete IKEA hack and created my dj setup.

You can check it out here: https://www.nothingapplies.com/wp-folder/about/

It is towards the bottom of the page.

6240E355-9379-462B-A4FF-1D6716AFE1AE.jpg

Well, here’s my hack. The table top I ordered arrived today, and I just layed it on top of the Kallax. It’s quite stable as it is, I might not need to put screws in it.

It’s maybe just a subtle difference from before, but’s it’s nice that the mixer fit on the table the same with the turntables in battle mode and the extra height seems just right now
    Last edited by monkeystyle; 11-22-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Cheers bro, it’s not much of a “hack” I guess The weight of the table top plus gear keeps it from moving anywhere so no neeed to drill holes etc. Maybe later, if I put it a 90’ angle from the wall, I’ll have to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
    Cheers bro, it’s not much of a “hack” I guess The weight of the table top plus gear keeps it from moving anywhere so no neeed to drill holes etc. Maybe later, if I put it a 90’ angle from the wall, I’ll have to work on that.
    Rubber pads? Another option is dowels but you need to sink them with a drill.

Anyway, as far as Ikea stuff goes I remember the Expedit not being deep enough for turntables.

Here is mine i think its the same as monkeystyle. the kallax bookcase with the top of the tv unit stuck on with wooden dowls and l shape brackets. its just the right height and very study