Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any of you know anything about Cubase?

any of you know anything about Cubase?

this question may be best off in the cubase forums, or cubase tech support, but i contact them so little that i will need to retrieve my log in details etc..before i can ask.

in the meaintime maybe some of you already came across this problem and might help me solve it.

iv got cubase elements here and i like to occasionally make edits and remixes of the music i DJ with.

here is the problem all of a sudden.
    when i import an audio file or music video, cubase seems to speed the audio up (by a lot, like 10 or 20% at least - with the vocals etc at a notably higher pitch)

obviously the first place you look is to check the sample rate BUT, it turns out that this happens even if the project settings are the same as the song settings. ie. same sample rate, same frame rate as the video.

it has my head wrecked. heading out to a gig now and i was not able to get my edits done today because of it.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 11-07-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Delete Cubase and reinstall it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Delete Cubase and reinstall it.
    really ??

Start with that and see what happens. Usually reinstalling software gets rid of most problems so hopefully should work in your case.

As a side note, I got rid of Cubase about 10 years ago, got tired of all the issues, and crashing every now and then etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I got rid of Cubase about 10 years ago, got tired of all the issues, and crashing every now and then etc...
    what do you use now? out of intrest

Logic pro and Pro tools

The speeding up sounds like what happens when the base clock of Cubase is 48kHZ where the imported audio is 44.1kHZ. Cubase assumes that the audio is 48kHZ and so the result is that it sounds pitch shifted up.

I recall running into that in both Logic and Cubase, but we're going back a number of years.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I'm a cubase addict... I'd say it was the sample rate as KLH mentions but you say you've checked that?

Whilst I'm here, I'll give you a little tip... If making mash ups... sticking vocals on top of an instrumental, have the instrumental duck to the vocal 2-3db at a medium Q around 2K. It's a lot easier to do if using a Dynamic EQ with Side Chain. It can be done with a multiband compressor but it wont quite achieve what we need, unless doing a lot of other trickery I wont get into here. The reason being, we want the vocal area of the instrumental to reduce ever so slightly when the singer starts to sing.

If you're interested... Here is an old article to do it the hard way "A more powerful method" part. Thankfully we have Dynamic EQ now.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ducking-mixdown

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    I'm a cubase addict... I'd say it was the sample rate as KLH mentions but you say you've checked that?

Whilst I'm here, I'll give you a little tip... If making mash ups... sticking vocals on top of an instrumental, have the instrumental duck to the vocal 2-3db at a medium Q around 2K. It's a lot easier to do if using a Dynamic EQ with Side Chain. It can be done with a multiband compressor but it wont quite achieve what we need, unless doing a lot of other trickery I wont get into here. The reason being, we want the vocal area of the instrumental to reduce ever so slightly when the singer starts to sing.

If you're interested... Here is an old article to do it the hard way "A more powerful method" part. Thankfully we have Dynamic EQ now.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ducking-mixdown
    nice! thankyou for the tip

i checked and even toggled the sample rate of the project. it is at 44.1k same as the song, in fact, when i flick it to 48k the song gets even faster.

so its faster at 44, but gets even worse at 48

thats in the project settings menu. perhaps there is some other setting somewhere that im unaware of