Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey - hearing loss

Survey - hearing loss

Hello DJ friends,

I'm currently undergoing a final year university project about raising awareness for hearing protection for DJs. As a big part of this project I will be conducting interviews with UK-based DJs on their knowledge on hearing protection and also their knowledge on NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...DDHqQ/viewform

If anyone is willing to help me out please get in touch.

Thanks,

- B

p.s Sorry if it's the wrong subforum, delete if not allowed.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-18-2019 at 10:53 AM.

(Moderator note)

I am leaving this thread up, as I support raising awareness for hearing loss and anything going towards that. Carry on people.

We normally close such surveys by low-post members, but I also approve this exception. Carry on, benevs. Good luck to you.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I have tinnitus... I know little about hearing protection, other than it exists. I know a bit about NIHL. I was hoping the Stem Cell research (that was proven to work some time back) would be Standard NHS with in the next few years... However, the more recent revelations that stems cells used in this way pose an increased cancer risk, has seriously held back progress. Should of been kind of obvious if you ask me. Cells left open to programming have more chance of being something we don't want.

The problem with hearing protection is i think it will get in the way of me judging adequate volume... And, if I'm using it when the customers aren't, i'm sure that would make me liable, a clear sign there's an actual danger.

The venues I work aren't that loud. Most of my damage is likely due to people screaming in my ears and Walkman in my teens. My right ear is worse than left, yet the big main speaker is to the left.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-08-2018 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    I have tinnitus... I know little about hearing protection, other than it exists. I know a bit about NIHL. I was hoping the Stem Cell research (that was proven to work some time back) would be Standard NHS with in the next few years... However, the more recent revelations that stems cells used in this way pose an increased cancer risk, has seriously held back progress. Should of been kind of obvious if you ask me. Cells left open to programming have more chance of being something we don't want.

The problem with hearing protection is i think it will get in the way of me judging adequate volume... And, if I'm using it when the customers aren't, i'm sure that would make me liable, a clear sign there's an actual danger.

The venues I work aren't that loud. Most of my damage is likely due to people screaming in my ears and Walkman in my teens. My right ear is worse than left, yet the big main speaker is to the left.
    Thank you for your reply. I understand your point about putting others at risk who are not wearing earplugs. A part of my survey is related to if people use the booth or headphones to monitor, in my venue testing part of the project, I have identified that DJs usually have a lot of people in the DJ booth with them, putting them at risk also. I have measured the DJ booths to reach upwards of 95dBa. DJs using the booth to mix, not headphones would turn this up if wearing earplugs, making it more dangerous behind the booth.

The venue technician will/should turn the master to avoid damage to the crowd's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by benevs View Post
    DJs using the booth to mix, not headphones would turn this up if wearing earplugs
    ERM!!! Dj's tend to use both the booth and headphones to mix. But yes, having ear plugs in they will likely have it louder.

The venue technician will/should turn the master to avoid damage to the crowd's ears.
    Not really. You should already know the thresholds for ear damage, it's much lower than what most systems run at. If they turned it down that low, no one would be there, if they were, you wouldn't be able to hear it over the noise of the crowd talking.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 02-18-2019 at 04:32 PM.

I'd say the damage done to my ears (tinitus that comes & goes) was done mainly at free parties in fields and warehouses. All the clubs and crews I've played with professionally know exactly what they're doing with the sound system. It's only the young ones that blast the booth monitors and have their headphones cranked-up, they do that off their own bat, even if the sound guy was to go over and turn it down for them, they'd turn it up again because they want to be 'blown away' by the sound. I don't think it would be fair to set 'limiters' as any outside 'rule-makers' generally don't have a clue, and those of us who do work the sound properly would be adversely affected. If young DJ's want to ruin their own ears, it's up to them. There's loads of info around about it, and they're told multiple times by the sound guy, other DJ's ect.

This is my first post on djforums and I hope helping you. Actually I have joined because I had a question about hearing. I have begin to get well with my dj practice at home so to get proper experience but now my set has longer duration and at some time I notice the sound missing High frequencies but thats not it; its my ears. I have tried relaxing my ears for some moments and the track comes back to normal. So I guess my set should have more cooldown moments with less sound.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Syfer View Post
    This is my first post on djforums and I hope helping you. Actually I have joined because I had a question about hearing. I have begin to get well with my dj practice at home so to get proper experience but now my set has longer duration and at some time I notice the sound missing High frequencies but thats not it; its my ears. I have tried relaxing my ears for some moments and the track comes back to normal. So I guess my set should have more cooldown moments with less sound.
    Thanks for helping me out! Taking regular breaks from DJing would be beneficial for you (atleast every hour) are you just a bedroom DJ or do you do club work?

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    with professionally know exactly what they're doing with the sound system.
    Your ears getting damaged doesn't discriminate towards sound quality. If the professional event is louder (which it often is) it will do more damage. A small system is going to sound very bad at much lower volumes and due to the irritation of the harsh harmonics, you're much more likely to vacate the area sooner.