Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY vinyl record shelf

DIY vinyl record shelf

Sup DJF,

I got a little bored so I made a small shelf for vinyl.

It's made from MDF and wood using dowel joints. Unfortunately I don't have any build pics, but it's fairly easy and quick to knock one up in an afternoon or two.

I'd estimate it can hold somewhere near 30 records in the top section and about 50 on the lower shelf. The small front section can be used for holding the sleeves of records that are playing.

As for the dimensions it's about 750mm high. Depth was a major factor when designing it because I intend to put it next to my console and there isn't much space.

Anyway, what do you think?

-ef

I think it's neat! Well done; looks proper sturdy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    I think it's neat! Well done; looks proper sturdy as well.
    Thanks! I just put it in place today and loaded my record collection in it.

I did put a few screws here and there to make it sturdier, and a detachable sheet of plywood in the lower section to support the records.

pretty impressive you used dowel joints; better for a smooth finish - especially in a box for vinyl. How long did this take you?

pretty impressive you used dowel joints; better for a smooth finish - especially in a box for vinyl. How long did this take you?
    A day or two? I happened to be out of screws and had a bunch of dowel rods. I've never been particularily good at it though.

And I'm lazy when it comes to countersinking.

DIY vinyl record shelf

... How long did this take you?
    Makes me laugh (at myself) anytime I’m asked that question about my DIY projects, ‘cause I usually have NO IDEA.😄 It’s not like I have a time clock, and usually work on the projects in fits and starts. If you’re working on wood projects, you have glue and paint drying times and such. And since I don’t have an indoor workshop, I have to work in my garage, so I might have an hour or two on a hot Summer day when I’m willing to work out there, or during the Winter I might do nothing for days because the garage is too cold. Projects that really only take a few hours of actual work time might take me weeks... or even months.😄
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 11-06-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Makes me laugh (at myself) anytime I’m asked that question about my DIY projects, ‘cause I usually have NO IDEA.�� It’s not like I have a time clock, and usually work on the projects in fits and starts. If you’re working on wood projects, you have glue and paint drying times and such. And since I don’t have an indoor workshop, I have to work in my garage, so I might have an hour or two on a hot Summer day when I’m willing to work out there, or during the Winter I might do nothing for days because the garage is too cold. Projects that really only take a few hours of actual work time might take me weeks... or even months.��
    I know that one; waiting for days for it to reach over 6 degrees so the paint has a chance of setting

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Here's a pic of the shelf in place with records in it :

good height!

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post

The booth setup reminds me of the setup Kevin James had.

No, the other Kevin James. The Deep House FW DJ.