Thread: Syncing Lights to Music

Syncing Lights to Music

Hi all,

I'm a newbie with some ADJ and Talent par cans that I've been using with a Sushi-DS on my laptop to control for small parties. I'd like to look into how to automate the lights to music. lightjams.com looks like an interesting solution but would require an ENTTEC controller instead of my Sushi one. Anyone use this before? Other options from ADJ like the MyDMX RM seem to do sound to light as well. Any suggestions? Just looking for something simple that I can work with.

Thanks,
    Al

What are you looking to get out of a DMX solution that you arent getting with the stand alone music trigger/auto mode in the lights?

Definitely not disagreeing with you, just trying to see what you hope to accomplish

Well for starters the built-in sound activation features only seems to work with a clap or a loud sound. At the audio levels I'm playing even with the speaker right by the fixture nothing happens. Also would like to specify certain colors and styles for the lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by skyace888 View Post
    I'd like to look into how to automate the lights to music.
    I just started on this adventure too. Here's my two cents.

The least expensive way of going with consistent results is to automate DMX via a computer by using a USB to DMX dongle and FreeStyler (free open source DMX controlling program). For the USB dongle, look for a RS485 to DMX 512 interface. Then you'll need DMX 3-pin cables to your fixtures. Videos on FreeStyler can be found on YouTube.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'm open to other approaches too!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I think it is odd that your sound isn't triggering sound active mode. Honestly you are embarking on a huge journey doing this. Quick and easy is sound active, it's mostly reactive to bass.

I played with Freestyler a lot, had high hopes for it, never got is to do what I wanted.

I'm finding you can spend cubic hours on light programming, and almost no one has any appreciation for what you have done. The KISS rule really applies here IMO...

ETA, I did have a cheap par light that was unresponsive to sound, found that the punch out for the mic didn't get removed completely, cleared the obstruction and the light worked OK. You mentioned you had ADJ light so I wouldn't expect a QC miss like that.
    Last edited by shoot summ; 10-31-2018 at 03:48 PM.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as an automated sound-active solution that looks good. At least not without a ton of work creating beatgridded light shows...

Most DMX software has a difficult learning curve, but once you grasp it, creating chases and effects is a breeze. Freestyler is great, but I'm sure your Sushi-DS is similar. Just set a bunch of different scenes and you'll be set. Even if they're not beatmatched, it will still look 100% better than sound active. They are also easy to map to a controller for easy cueing.

I have just picked up SoundStream and I have to say so far I am pleased. Works of the Beat-grid and the lights look amazing.