Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I find it gratifying

18 100.00%
  • Because it's all about the Benjamins

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Love or Money

I don't play in clubs anymore - I am too old. But I also have had both.

The money I make from mobile djing gets the money, but playing on radio is what I do now for free and I love it. There is no reaction from the crowd. Maybe a bit of chat room blurbs, but I still like to know that I am playing live. Maybe not to a lot of heads, but I enjoy it. It satiates my club cravings.

For Love or Money

Well... I guess I DJ for the love of it, because I’m NOT really makin’ a ton of money doing it.😄 My situation is probably a little more unusual than most of the members here... I was already OLD before I even started DJing. I started my mobile DJ business after I retired in order to have something to keep me physically and mentally active. Now, four years later, I’m REALLY OLD.😄 The performance part is still enjoyable, if not exactly fun, but the load in/out part is no fun at all. It’s not about the money for me. I make enough from DJing to buy more cool DJ toys, and I’m fine with that. I’m not sure what I’ll do when I can’t handle the physical part anymore. Actually, the mental part may go first.😄
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 10-25-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I am old & cantankerous & for the most part, I just as soon stay home as go out to someone else's party till 11 or 12:00 at night.
    I'm getting on toward old and cantankerous and 11-12 at night is when most of the parties I work on are just filling up!
    Tomorrow night I'm playing @ 11:30pm and had to get different music to play because it's too early for most of what I play right now.

All about the music... and the way it makes me feel. And the crowdgasms are awesome too!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

that's all great til you're stuck in a field in the middle of nowhere with a couple of drinks tokens and no 'free' way of getting home

the love of mixing, definitely.

the money I made off of DJing usually went straight to vinyl and equipment and the occasional payout to friend who helped carry crates (I stopped before software became the norm)

its pretty simple do it with love and passion, you will then become great do it for money and become a sheep

For the love...

I've received payment for my services (ooh, er missus, etc.) but I've never made money from DJ'ing once the costs of buying music (mostly still buy/play vinyl), equipment and transport are taken into account, so by default I must be in it for the love...

BTW, I played my strangest 'gig' just today; I was compering at a care leavers' forum during which I played snatches of tracks for introducing the different speakers (as in orators, not monitors) and did a few small mixes in the breaks (as in pauses between orators, not funky drum solos). I was and wasn't paid for my performance in that it was at work (my actual, paid occupation), which is the 'strange' bit I was referring to earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel s View Post
    for the love...

tuuune!!!