18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I find it gratifying

18 100.00%
  • Because it's all about the Benjamins

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For Love or Money

For Love or Money

I presume it would be safe to say that most individuals on here DJ because they enjoy the music and love to play in front of a crowd.
    The bonus is getting paid for it.

If it came down to it though - would you DJ for the sheer satisfaction of blowing up the dancefloor for free...
    OR getting handsomely compensated and have crickets on the dancefloor?

I have experienced both. For me, I get no better satisfaction than seeing a packed floor and people losing their minds because they can hear their jam coming on. Conversely, I have had lucrative gigs where I was really excited to play and the people just weren't feeling the music I was playing. Although financially successful - it felt like a bust.

What would you rather?
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Done both, but I don't see getting paid as a bonus. Gear / music does not grow on trees, and does not magically fly and set itself up to the party. Neither does it operate itself, or does it pay bills such as car fuel or liability insurance. Been at it for almost 30 years, so I expect $$$, no pay no play. I've done a lot of the love part already.

I agree with all you say.
    Sometimes earning the $$$ is far removed from having a good time. Sometimes the times when earning the most is the time enjoying yourself the least.
    As in Djing as in life.

I work for money and expect it to be unenjoyable.
    I DJ for pleasure and I usually manage to enjoy myself.

If I DJed for money I would be broke.
    If I worked for pleasure I'd be a gigolo, or crazy.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Well, if I DJ'd for a job and didn't like it much then it would be like any other job I don't like much and would prob make more sense to just get a different job. But when you say I would get paid handsomely well that changes the equation because let's say I was getting $20K per night, then sure I'd suck it up and deal. A job is a job, it's all about how much you like doing it vs how much you get paid.

But in reality most DJ's don't make bank playing the music they love. Those that do have it good.

But for me, I play for the love of the music and the love of the parties I play at.. I get paid small amounts which is fine. My day job pays more than most DJs make.

I enjoy DJing.... I really do. I've been doing it since 1982. I'd play an event for my family for free like a family reunion/gathering/event etc, but that's about it. As much as I enjoy playing, I wont play for free for the public.
    For example, I am one of, if not the highest priced mobile DJ in my area & as much as I enjoy playing, I very seldom give price cuts just to get the gig. Its gotta be well worth it for me, to give a cut in price. But, I am old & cantankerous & for the most part, I just as soon stay home as go out to someone else's party till 11 or 12:00 at night.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I wanted to vote the bottom one but I'd be lying

Think about how much money that would be to overcome the love being the motivation. ..
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

I was supposed to get pair GBP100-150/night in my heyday when I was playing out and I was playing twice or three times a month, usually bar gigs, the odd one off here and there and a monthly ressie.

I can count on one hand the times I actually got paid. Usually the promoter didn't make enough on the night to pay me and so I got my drinks etc free and he promised to sort me out next time. I think a willingness to accept this was one of the reasons I was getting booked a lot. I was never in it for the cash and had such a blast every time I got behind the decks that I was fine to write off the payment.

I swear if you could package the feeling you get when the dancefloor is going off, the atmosphere is great and you're smashing it - most of us would happily pay for that. IE: I should be paying the promoter not the other way round.

the poll doesn't make sense to me; if you're booked to play anywhere with anyone that makes money, get some, even if it's just a token. Otherwise, you're just getting used off the back of your own over-eagerness, and lowering the bar for your peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
    I wanted to vote the bottom one but I'd be lying

Think about how much money that would be to overcome the love being the motivation. ..
    more money more motivation more love

this cloud of lies around how money doesn't make you happier, or somehow kills a passion - no it bloody doesn't, and yes it bloody would!

(some strong language )