Thread: Fog Lights Available?

Fog Lights Available?

I am wondering if anyone has heard of fog lights? I have asthma and cannot use the traditional fog machines and schools probably would not permit it either. This will be used to light up the stage area for visual effects where I might not have access to control the lighting all the time.. I am a newbie that is looking for advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Dennis

The fog or haze in the air is what makes the beam effect. Very bright lights can get the effect just from dust in the air but not very strongly.
    So basically, no, there's no such thing.

But there are different kinds of foggers and hazers, they don't all use the same fluid to make the fog.
    Some use glycol mixed with water, some use a glycerin solution (similar but slightly different), some use mineral oil, and there are a few that use liquid nitrogen or even just plain water. I used to use an oil cracker machine.. I would put food grade mineral oil in it which I would buy from a pharmacy.. nobody ever complained. But oil cracker machines are used mainly by professionals in big shows, they don't work well for ****** users because they are noisy and because if you use them day after day in the same place, eventually you will get oil buildup. The machine uses very little oil (just a couple of ounces per hour) but it adds up.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-20-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks Light-O-Matic, I kind of thought that technology has not caught up there yet. I am looking to create a grave yard scene for The Thriller. I just did this at a conference this week where I bought zombie costumes and volunteers acted like zombies while I did the dance, I had a giant inflatable monster hand with hands and a strobe light but it was not bright enough. It turned out really well and students love being a part of the program. Now you have, it that's what I am up to.

Sounds fun!

But no, you will never find a light that can put a decent beam in the air without some vapor or dust in the air.. it's physics. You have got to have something in the air to reflect or refract the light in order to produce that effect. And yea, some venues can't have fog at all because it sets off the smoke detectors.

If you are a DIY kind of guy, here's an idea for building your own ultrasonic type fog machine.. this uses ONLY water, no glycol or glycerine, and no heating elements.. so maybe it won't bother your athsma.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Wat...-No-Fog-Juice/

Thanks Light-o-matic, I just saw this, I will check out the link. Maybe I will find a powerful small strobe light with a dj light and keep it simple. I do have a graveyard scene with fog on the projector screen, maybe that will suffice.