Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory or Software?

Memory or Software?

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I'd be shocked if you're being limited by RAM, but it could happen...
    I agree... I don’t think the amount of memory is an issue. Initially, I thought there might be some BAD memory because of the somewhat unusual size, but the specs DEFINITELY say 6GB RAM, and both machines are identical, and both laptops have the same freeze problem. So I think it’s safe to rule out memory for the moment.

Normally, if I had a problem with the display freezing, I’d point to the graphics driver, but since it doesn’t happen at his house, something going on in his home environment is preventing the laptops from freezing up, that is NOT present when he’s away from home... What is that something?

I wonder if he has checked the logs for errors? There are several ways to access the System Logs, but here’s an easy one...

Click Start
    point to Programs,
    point to Administrative Tools,
    and then click Event Viewer.
    In the console tree, click System Log

A list will appear in the pane on the right of the tree. Scroll through the list and find the items with red X’s, then look at the ones that occurred at the date and time when the display froze. Copy that error message, then post it so we can see what it says.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 10-19-2018 at 09:08 PM.

I started playing this event at 5:30. The error in this screen shot is from 5:45. I dont know if this error is associated with my issue or not. There are only two errors showing, but I'm quite sure this happened more that twice that evening.

Thanks for your help.

Event viewer.jpg
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Memory or Software?

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I started playing this event at 5:30. The error in this screen shot is from 5:45. I dont know if this error is associated with my issue or not. There are only two errors showing, but I'm quite sure this happened more that twice that evening.

Thanks for your help.

Event viewer.jpg
    Sorry @Dix ... That image is not quite clear enough for me to make out the exact error message. Perhaps if you could highlight and copy (Control key + C) just the text of the error message where it talks about " settings do not grant Local..." and paste it (Control key + V) as text in your reply, I might have a better idea of what the error message means. I can tell you, that it is a permissions issue, which will require that we go into the registry and grant you Local Admin rights to something, but since I can't read the code, I can't tell you what you need permissions to. That weird looking string of numbers at the end of the message tells you the registry key you need to change the permissions to, but I can’t read the number in the .jpg you posted... TOO blurry.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 10-20-2018 at 09:18 AM.

I did suspect it may have to be down to one difference, and now I see that your pic says Distributed COM. Kind of confirms it, but that needs to be double checked from your end.

I'm taking a wild guess, but your computer is linked to the internet at home, and not linked during gigs, right? While at a gig, switch the laptop to "plane mode" and see if that makes any difference. When a computer is trying to look for, and hookup to networks, it does kind of freeze or slow all other running software for a few seconds while the coms are being set.
    Last edited by Manu; 10-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I did suspect it may have to be down to one difference, and now I see that your pic says Distributed COM. Kind of confirms it, but that needs to be double checked from your end.

I'm taking a wild guess, but your computer is linked to the internet at home, and not linked during gigs, right? While at a gig, switch the laptop to "plane mode" and see if that makes any difference. When a computer is trying to look for, and hookup to networks, it does kind of freeze or slow all other running software for a few seconds while the coms are being set.
    I couldn’t read the message, but it does appear that an application is trying to hook up to some DCOM server, which might be on the Internet somewhere. If his computers automatically connect to WiFi at home, that might explain the freeze up when not connected to WiFi at a gig. It’s easy to simulate by merely turning off WiFi and see if it freezes.

However, it’s also possible that a DLL on his laptop(s) is the culprit, and that permissions to it have been changed. This is something that happens pretty commonly with Windows Updates... and most people never know it. They think their computer is just getting slow, but they never think to look at the System Logs for errors.

That's what I think, the software is trying to hookup to the internet, but fails. This process does freeze all functions for a few seconds. It's not a fatal error but it will slow the computer down for a few seconds. Like I said, switching to plane mode should in theory do something.

And you're right, a lot of people experienced that exact problem when switching from windows 8 to 8.1 - then also yes there were a metric ton of DLL issues, and other software compatibility problems.

permissions to it have been changed
    there's that too, when a computer user account is not the admin on the OS.
    Last edited by Manu; 10-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Memory or Software?

Hey Dix... I don’t really know anything about UltraMixer 5 Pro, but it looks like it might have a NETWORK MODE. If that can be disabled in the settings, You might give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 10-20-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I couldn’t read the message, but it does appear that an application is trying to hook up to some DCOM server, which might be on the Internet somewhere. If his computers automatically connect to WiFi at home, that might explain the freeze up when not connected to WiFi at a gig. It’s easy to simulate by merely turning off WiFi and see if it freezes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    That's what I think, the software is trying to hookup to the internet, but fails. This process does freeze all functions for a few seconds. It's not a fatal error but it will slow the computer down for a few seconds. Like I said, switching to plane mode should in theory do something.
    +1

I suggest turning off WiFi - actually all networking - when DJing... unless you're at home.

I would also advise separating your USB devices. If you have an audio interface or external hard drives, those should get a direct port. Everything else (like a mouse, keyboard, or MIDI controller that doesn't have an audio interface) can go on a hub.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Sorry @Dix ... That image is not quite clear enough for me to make out the exact error message. Perhaps if you could highlight and copy (Control key + C) just the text of the error message where it talks about " settings do not grant Local..." and paste it (Control key + V) as text in your reply, I might have a better idea of what the error message means. I can tell you, that it is a permissions issue, which will require that we go into the registry and grant you Local Admin rights to something, but since I can't read the code, I can't tell you what you need permissions to. That weird looking string of numbers at the end of the message tells you the registry key you need to change the permissions to, but I can’t read the number in the .jpg you posted... TOO blurry.��
    "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
    and APPID
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
    to the user TC\T C SID (S-1-5-21-1074505306-3427216205-1103537770-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    +1

I suggest turning off WiFi - actually all networking - when DJing... unless you're at home.

I would also advise separating your USB devices. If you have an audio interface or external hard drives, those should get a direct port. Everything else (like a mouse, keyboard, or MIDI controller that doesn't have an audio interface) can go on a hub.
    I may try this. There are a couple of reason I chose to use a 5 port hub during set up.
    I have three USB ports on this laptop. Only one is 3.0 & that's where I plug in the hub. The other two USB ports are 2.0. I'll try connecting my external drive to the 3.0 & the Traktor 2 Audio to a 2.0, then plug the USB hub into the last 2.0, the other two items into the hub.