Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory or Software?

Memory or Software?

I am having an issue with software freezing up occasionally when searching.

If I am home with my external drive playing music on either laptop everything works fine. But when I get to a gig with everything connected, the software sometimes freezes. (I am using identical laptops)

Now, let me explain "freezing". The music doesn't actually stop but the software visuals don't work. The wave lengths stop, the search stops, etc. This happens normally when using the search feature when looking for a specific song or artist.

Again, when at home with nothing but desktop speakers & my external drive, there are no issues. But when I get to a gig & I have the following connected, that's when the freezing happens.
    Laptop -
    5 port USB port - mouse - external drive - traktor 2
    4 channel mixer - wireless mic - 2 powered speakers

So, is this likely to be a software issue or is it a hardware issue draining memory? As far as I know, no hardware should be draining memory. Especially enough memory to cause this.

I'm running an HP with a Intel core i5 processor, x64, 1.7 Ghz processor & 6 gigs of RAM. I thought I had 8 gigs but I just checked & its 6. That could be an issue.
    I'm using UltraMixer5 Pro DJ software.

Any idea why it works at home with minimal hardware yet freezes for a few seconds when using the search feature at a gig with a complete setup/software?
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Memory or Software?

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I am having an issue with software freezing up occasionally when searching.

If I am home with my external drive playing music on either laptop everything works fine. But when I get to a gig with everything connected, the software sometimes freezes. (I am using identical laptops)

Now, let me explain "freezing". The music doesn't actually stop but the software visuals don't work. The wave lengths stop, the search stops, etc. This happens normally when using the search feature when looking for a specific song or artist.

Again, when at home with nothing but desktop speakers & my external drive, there are no issues. But when I get to a gig & I have the following connected, that's when the freezing happens.
    Laptop -

So, is this likely to be a software issue or is it a hardware issue draining memory? As far as I know, no hardware should be draining memory. Especially enough memory to cause this.

I'm running an HP with a Intel core i5 processor, x64, 1.7 Ghz processor & 6 gigs of RAM. I thought I had 8 gigs but I just checked & its 6. That could be an issue.
    I'm using UltraMixer5 Pro DJ software.

Any idea why it works at home with minimal hardware yet freezes for a few seconds when using the search feature at a gig with a complete setup/software?
    On the surface... I have no clue what your problem is.😄... I can’t tell by your post if this problem you describe is happening on BOTH laptops. However, I’d be a little suspicious of the memory issue. You thought you had 8GB, yet only 6GB is showing. You say you have identical laptops???... Do both show 6GB?... 6GB is kind of an unusual number when laptops usually have just two memory slots. So 4, 8, 16, etc. are more common. Memory problems can cause some weird problems that are hard to diagnose. So I’d start by switching the memory. If one laptop works fine, but the other doesn’t, switch the memory from the good computer into the one not working correctly and see if it fixes the problem. That’s where I would start.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 10-18-2018 at 09:01 PM.

I have 2 identical laptops & it happens with both at a gig.... At home, they both work fine. I'm wondering if its a hardware issue. If possibly some of my hardware is over loading the memory & if its the processor that cant keep up or the RAM isnt enough.

I agree that RAM usually comes in 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 etc. However, here are the specs:

HP 15-r110dx Notebook PC Product Specifications
    Product Name 15-r110dx
    Microprocessor 1.7GHz 4th generation Intel Core i5-4210U Processor with SC Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    Memory 6GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Video Graphics Intel HD graphics 4400
    Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit display (1366x768)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+1...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks for your input.

Is the laptop running on battery at gigs?
    Battery could mean the processor is in some low power mode.
    I presume you have taken off any anti-virus software or stuff that could be interfering.
    SSD drives access quickly - are you using an SSD in the laptop to access files or a USB external drive running at 5400rpm?
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Is there something different you use for gigs, i.e. usb cable, plugged in the mains differently. You mentioned "when using a complete setup", have you tried to reproduce the problem at home at all.

Try using all the exact same setup at home.

First rule of debugging know what changed.

Remove the difference, then add/subtract to see what happens.

I'd be shocked if you're being limited by RAM, but it could happen. To know for sure, try this:

1. Play 4 complete tracks (2 tracks on each deck) and then set both decks to loop. You should be able to hear both decks looping. Lower the volume so that you don't go nuts.
    2. Grab a screenshot of Window's RAM usage.
    ___* To do this, go to task manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE and selecting task manager
    ___* Go to the Performance Tab (the second tab) and see the amount of RAM in use
    ___* To grab a screen shot of the window, select the task manager screen and then use ALT-Print Screen to copy into the clipboard
    ___* Go to Microsoft Paint to paste the screen shot from the clipboard into a picture. Save the picture.
    ___* Post the pic into this thread so we can see.

Here's my memory usage in task manager:

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Is the laptop running on battery at gigs?
    Battery could mean the processor is in some low power mode.
    No, always run plugged in.

I presume you have taken off any anti-virus software or stuff that could be interfering.
    I disable the antivirus but not remove it at gigs. At home, the antivirus is always running.

SSD drives access quickly - are you using an SSD in the laptop to access files or a USB external drive running at 5400rpm?
    I am using a USB external drive at gigs & at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Is there something different you use for gigs, i.e. usb cable, plugged in the mains differently. You mentioned "when using a complete setup", have you tried to reproduce the problem at home at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Laptop -
    5char..

I know, I've looked at it all. I'm going to take a wild guess and point the finger at your 5 USB port. I may be wrong, but this does induce lag. Also your external drive and connection may have something wrong.