Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crossfader

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post

Also, a thing a good DJ knows how to do is get out of a bad mix or track quickly when it is about to hit the fan.
    Exactly what I was saying upthread. Trick is knowing before it happens

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCombover View Post
    Exactly what I was saying upthread. Trick is knowing before it happens
    Agreed.

No one can be perfect all the time.

There are always slip ups when playing. A lot of those mistakes the crowd won't notice, but in your head you curse yourself for messing up. Even if it is a train wreck, don't let that mistake ruin your groove. I have had times when I mess up and then the rest of the mix loses some of it's energy in my mind.

Also, a thing a good DJ knows how to do is get out of a bad mix or track quickly when it is about to hit the fan.
    Thats some really good advice that you're givving here. I'm a new DJ and I've been working with a mobile DJing company for a couple of months now and the biggest thing that I noticed is that when the dancefloor is packed, no one really notices if you make a mistake, unless it is a really bad one. For example if youre playing a song that everyone is feeling and all of the sudden the music cuts out, you have about three seconds to bring it back in untill everyone is looking at you and are like "WTF where did the music go?" If you know what you're doing than bringing the music back in a quick second is pretty simple, but if your beatmatching is slightly off, most of the partygoers on the dancefloor are not musicians and won't be able to tell the difference, as long as the music dosen't stop and the vibe dosen't change dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by residuum View Post
    Hello all

I see alot of dj's dont use crossfader they EQing, but what is the reason not use crossfader on a curve setting?
    I didn't use one at work because their mixer didn't have a crossfader.
    Also, I prefer rotary knobs over line faders, but I've never owned a rotary mixer.

With the exception of scratching, I'm not really even sure what the purpose of the crossfader is. To free up one hand?
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    With the exception of scratching, I'm not really even sure what the purpose of the crossfader is. To free up one hand?
    When I started out, I used to use the crossfader to mix one track into the other by sliding it from all the way from the playing track to the the side the next track was coming in.

I have really changed the way I mix since then and disable the crossfader in Serato and only use the upfaders. To me they are just more natural to use.

When I started out, I used to use the crossfader to mix one track into the other by sliding it from all the way from the playing track to the the side the next track was coming in.
    When I started crossfaders were something you only saw on cheap mixers like Radio Shack (Tandy?). I think the only professional mixer on the market with a crossfader was by Gemini.

I learned to mix on a Pevey powered mixer with two SL-1200 turntables.
    The first mixer I bought with a crossfader was a Radio Shack mixer. And that was only because I wanted to imitate the scratching I was hearing in the late 1970s & early 1980s. I didn't use it for DJing.

It was in the mid to late 1980s when I bought a Gemini mixer (Because I couldn't afford the Numark version.) with a built-in digital sampler. When I started using a DJ mixer with a crossfader for DJing. Since I wasn't beatmatching I started using the crossfader just because it was there.

I didn't bother to learn to beat match until I joined DJF 1.0.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 10-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    When I started crossfaders were something you only saw on cheap mixers like Radio Shack (Tandy?). I think the only professional mixer on the market with a crossfader was by Gemini.

I learned to mix on a Pevey powered mixer with two SL-1200 turntables.
    I started with a mixer I can't remember and 2 belt drive tts.

When I finally got good gear I got a Stanton m.207 mixer and 2 Stanton st8-150s.

I went to dvs with mix vibes and then about 3 years ago got into controllers and Serato.

I used to hate on CDs. Funny how times change so quickly.

I haven't paid much attention to old Disco movies. But I think all of the Discos were using mixers that didn't have a crossfader.
    I do remember Bozack (spelling?) was really popular back then but I don't remember the model number.

The only exception I knew of was in NYC where they would occasionally feature a DJ scratching.

I rarely use the CF for transition. Instead more like a failsafe after the new track is in, so I don't accidentally play the other channel. I get much smoother transitions out of the the faders, as they are about twice as long so smoother volume control.