Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crossfader

crossfader

Hello all

I see alot of dj's dont use crossfader they EQing, but what is the reason not use crossfader on a curve setting?

I use the upfaders. Cross fader is used for turntablists and scratching and whatever.

One can (and many do) use the channel faders for cutting and, conversely, one can (but I'm not sure how many do) use the cross fader for blending. I think it's a good idea to know how to use both methods just in case one finds oneself in a situation where there's a problem with the preferred fader it doesn't have to bring the show to a halt.

hey thanks guys i guess it all comes down to practising yesterday I did some beautiful transitions but i failed some because i panicked, every one can explain as much as they want but it doesn't matter, until you can see it yourself and hear it but the more i practice the more sense it all makes.

Main reason I don't use the Xfader is that the curve is unpredictable and varies from mixer to mixer. If you're used to a A&H and you go onto a Vestax or a Stanton you might find it different. It sounds *really* bad when you use the fader and the line isn't linear but curves so you bring it across slowly and then the volume on the channel you're bringing in spikes upwards. I've come to the conclusion the upfaders/EQs/filters are a much better, more reliable and better sounding way of layering/fading. I came to that conclusion 20 years ago and my view hasn't changed. My DB4 has all sorts of settings but after messing with it it gets confusing as you are also assigning FX and filters to the Xfader as well so it would be easy to lose track and make a mistake if playing out.

Quote Originally Posted by residuum View Post
    yesterday I did some beautiful transitions but i failed some because i panicked.
    That was something I struggled with for a long time to iron out of my game. It is counter-intuitive. I think part of the reason is when you're starting out you lack the confidence to stay with the mix and if it isn't right bring it out and start again. I've never, ever screwed up a mix that I've brought out after starting to bring it in as it didn't sound right. Sometimes the temptation is if you feel it slipping out or (more commonly) some synths or vocals are clashing, that you ram it home as you know it doesn't sound right so you want to end the mix asap. You really have to force yourself to stick with the mix or bring it out rather than make the best of a bad situation. Its hard to do.

Another reason is (for me, might be different for you) that back in the day I used to hear the really talented DJs (granted usually on harder, higher BPM stuff eg hard trance or hard house) slam the faders across and the mix would actually just be the time it took to move the faders - the song would (to my ears) be in only for a fraction of a second but it sounded really good as it was perfectly beat-matched and launched from one phrase right into another one. Some of the really good early 00s Vestaxes used to have killswitches - I had one in fact. Sounds great on hard house but only if you get it right. So you'd hear the big name DJs do it and you'd try it at home and it always and I mean ALWAYS sounds rubbish. Its actually a very difficult thing to do as you have to have your phrases spot on and you have to have your timing spot on, but most importantly your levels need to be pinpoint.

There are few sadder sounds in DJing than when you bring the tune across too quickly or are too heavy-handed with the filters/EQs and go from a glorious, euphoric bassy breakdown into anaemic-sounding drums and no bass, with the bass or synths etc to kick in in a phrase or two (or more if you've really fcuked it up). It sounds terrible. Every time you try it, is sounds rubbish and it will kill a dancefloor stone dead. Trust me on that, I've done it. Its horrible.

So don't panic! Take your time and get your phrases right. If it doesn't sound right or you think it is something you want to rush in, bring it out and try to put it in again at the right point. You'll find that as most house/techno/trance etc tunes move into the last few phrases they strip down and what might have sounded cluttered and clashy and chaotic etc thirty seconds ago will sound great. Don't be afraid of mixes that you've been cueing up for ages that go into the last phrase or two. Believe me, that sounds better than rushing it across when it isn't right.

Here endeth the advice. Good luck mate, keep us posted on how you're getting on.
    Last edited by PerryCombover; 10-17-2018 at 09:55 AM.

This is pretty much what I tell all new DJs trying to learn.

Record everything, then go back and listen. It sounds much different to a listener than it does in the mix.

I mainly use the crossfader and the eq's - can't remember a time I've used the upfaders, but then I don't play house/techno/bass sets where the tracks run together for a long time; I'm more dropping things in and out. I suppose it depends on what style you play?

thanks again guys really appreciate it i always record my practice sessions and listen to them to see where i am messing up but i practice and practice and that is all i can do, i'm trying to do a perfect 1 hour mix, but i want it to be perfect but its seems so hard but i will do it

Also when dj's play live do they do perfect mixs 100% of the time, i am afraid if i ever play live it will need to be 100% right.

No one can be perfect all the time.

There are always slip ups when playing. A lot of those mistakes the crowd won't notice, but in your head you curse yourself for messing up. Even if it is a train wreck, don't let that mistake ruin your groove. I have had times when I mess up and then the rest of the mix loses some of it's energy in my mind.

Also, a thing a good DJ knows how to do is get out of a bad mix or track quickly when it is about to hit the fan.