Thread: Recreating 303 sound on Novation Circuit Editor

Recreating 303 sound on Novation Circuit Editor

Hi there,

Im trying to recreate the Roland TB 303 sounds on the Novation Circuit. Has anyone managed anything worthy? Im not looking for a carbon copy, just something that passes as Acid.

I have a TB3 at home but am currently working deep sea so dont have a Roland unit at hand to help me compare sounds. I have an average understanding of sound engineering so hopefully ill get something usable. there is a lot of synth control on the Circuit editor, which helps a lot.

It will be a work in progress and I will update/upload my progress.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kind regards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PROGRESS (26/10/18)
    i have made good progress and successfully managed to make that squelching acid sound. The note sound of it is different from the 303 but I will be able to tweak that when I get home and have my TB3 in front of me.

303 FEATURES TO REPLICATE

WAVEFORM - Saw/square wave with control of the attack and release.

FILTER: 24db valve filter with res and cutoff controls. Doesn't quite screech as much as the 303 but I may be able to improve this a little bit.

ENV MOD: I have managed to replicate the squelching sound by applying a random LFO macro to the amp envelop. It surprisingly works really well.

SLIDE: I have set the synth to mono and with a glide option. This means that the pitch of the note will slide to the next note's pitch if the notes gate time overlap. The character is a bit different but It can be used is a similar creative way life the TB 303.

ACCENT: Haven't found a solution to this yet.
    Last edited by PlasticParty; 10-26-2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: update

Update