Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase DVS devices

Phase DVS devices

Is anyone looking at getting the Phase DVS devices? I was interested until I realized that they're $350! Seems twice as much as it should be, IMHO.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Cheap in comparison to a NS7iii or a pair of Rane 12's but I see where you're coming from. However, if my understanding is correct, they're a relatively small company with only one other product on the market so they don't have the economy of scale that the likes of Numark, Rane, etc. do.

I suppose I'm asking if anyone finds the Phase devices compelling at $350...
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

If I was a mobile DJ and/or gigging regularly, they would be a very interesting prospect indeed, especially as someone who is only accustomed to using turntables. One can probably obtain a very nice controller for similar money, so it might not be such an attention grabber for someone who comes from a media player/controller background. However, I suspect it's not really aimed at that group of DJ's anyway...

Yeah, I guess that I find myself in the same group - media player/controller. I have TTs and I need to replace the needles. I was hoping that the Phase devices would be around the same price as 2x needles. Oh well. Maybe they'll get there after a while.
    -KLH

I'm really intrigued at the concept. Pricing isn't half bad to be honest, it would of been mad expensive back in the day. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot but I just don't know if I can trust little wireless devices that you have to charge.
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/attac...2&d=1330279224
    Twitter - Soundcloud- Youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonitz
    I love me some MEAT!

I just saw this YT video with Jazzy Jeff demo'ing Phase.

While I agree it's a step in the right direction as far as DVS's go, I'm not sure if I see it as revolutionary and game changing as Jeff seems to think - unless it's purely from a showmanship / battle perspective, in which case I also see this as becoming very gimmicky and tired after a rather short time.

One of the other things that concerns me after watching the vid is when Jeff picks up the record and spins with it in hand. Shouldn't the sound be more "warbled"? Like, he's definitely not spinning at a constant 33/3 rpm so there should be a more noticeable variation in pitch. This has me wondering how sensitive Phase is to pitch adjustments.

Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

If anything, I see Phase making needles and TCV obsolete. I also wonder if anyone will care about using Technics versus OEMs after this.

I have to get over the pricing. I need to get these and just call it a day.
    -KLH

$350 is expensive for two styli but one could easily spend that for two cartridges, so not really that expensive if you think of it those terms.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    If anything, I see Phase making needles and TCV obsolete. I also wonder if anyone will care about using Technics versus OEMs after this.
    Don't worry, Nicadraus will still be making shitposts on any turntable thread that's not about Technics.

Also, coming from experience with Denon equipment that also (like the Phase) generates it's own version of timecode that "should" be compatible with Traktor/Serato/Rekordbox, don't be surprised when suddenly you start getting weird problems after a software update. Calibration failed, software pitch suddenly locks to -30%, software switches to int mode,....all problems solved by using a official timecode vinly/CD.