Thread: need help understanding processor requirements for Serato

need help understanding processor requirements for Serato

Got a question for the computer savvy guys regarding the minimum harware system requirements to run Serato DJ Pro. I'm doing some research on how to determine which older MacBook models are capable of running SDJP. I'm putting something together to help folks determine if their MacBook can run SDJP.

According to Serato's website on the minimum requirements for SDJP, the processor has to be:

i3: 1.07GHz
    i5: 1.07GHz
    i7: 1.07GHz

It doesn't mention anything about being single-core, dual-core, or quad-core. Some folks believe the i3, i5, and i7 generally correspond to the number of cores, but I have also seen a dual-core i7 and a quad-core i5 before.

So my questions are the following:

1. Are Serato's minimum processor requirement specs based on single-core speeds?

2. And if yes above, how do I do I determine if a processor meets the requirements? Do I multiply the processor speed by the number of cores? Or is there a formula to determine the right processor spec?

3. Will an earlier higher spec Core 2 Duo work?

4. Can more RAM make up for less processor speed?

I apologize for my computer ignorance. Just want to make sure I understand this and I don't give out the wrong info when helping others.

I have two laptops myself and they both run Serato flawlessly. One is a Core i7 2.3GHz quad and the other is a Core i5 1.8GHz dual. I haven't had any major issues using either of them, running at 2ms to 5ms latency. The little Core i5 can run SDJP with 4 decks, using 2 controllers. And I normally have it running with the Boss Tone Studio application also open.
    Check out my Official Website at www.priyonjoni.com
    Voted 2014 Best DJ in Des Moines, Iowa in CityView Magazine's Best of Des Moines

Quote Originally Posted by Pri yon Joni View Post
    1. Are Serato's minimum processor requirement specs based on single-core speeds?
    Most DJ apps are use only 1 core during audio operations. That's why the speed rating is the same across Intel processors. The exception is during analyzing - then multiple cores are typically used (and even that is usually set in preferences). Video processing is different and likely uses more cores.

As a side note, Serato once took a stance against AMD chipsets due to perceived reliability issues back in the Athlon days (~2008?). I'd be interested to know if AMD chipsets are now supported.

2. And if yes above, how do I do I determine if a processor meets the requirements? Do I multiply the processor speed by the number of cores? Or is there a formula to determine the right processor spec?
    Just use the stated speed rating (in gigahertz) of a modern CPU (Haswell, Skylake, CoffeeLake, etc.).

3. Will an earlier higher spec Core 2 Duo work?
    Since architectures change, speed ratings aren't an apples to apples comparison across chipsets (i.e. Core 2 Duo versus SkyLake). Still, there's nothing wrong with trying. You'll find that when a CPU can't handle the load, audio glitches occur until you crank up latency... which in turn makes the system laggy/less usable.

I'd start by disabling anything that brings load - so one track, no EQ, no waveforms, no effects, no keylock, no sync, etc. Introduce those things one by one until audio glitches are to occur. Then you'll find out how many things your CPU can handle. Back when I had a Core 2 Duo, in Traktor, I was able to run two tracks and EQ. When I enabled keylock, glitching started... and then I knew I was in the market for a new laptop.

4. Can more RAM make up for less processor speed?
    Nope. Keeping this in layman's terms, RAM affects how many activities a processor can juggle at one time. In technical terms activities are called processes or threads (depending on the OS).

Bottom line. If you use a Core 2 Duo, you need to upgrade.
    Last edited by KLH; 10-10-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Thanks, that was helpful!
    Check out my Official Website at www.priyonjoni.com
    Voted 2014 Best DJ in Des Moines, Iowa in CityView Magazine's Best of Des Moines