Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Matching

Beat Matching

Hey all.

Just a quick question, I use xdj 700's there is a bar counter on each deck, i have been using these to beat match is this wrong? because i think at times it makes my beat matching way out any advice?

Greetings residuum,

Unfortunately, the only reliable way to beat match is to use your ears. Grids and stuff can be useful for getting you in the ballpark but unless you're sure that the grids are bang on in every track, it's best not to rely on them to do your mixing for you. HTH

thanks Spy will practice more

Just try to understand track it self and count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 etc. and after 16 beats usually apply another track, but like i said it depends on track it self. Good luck.

Record everything you play.

Then listen back and learn.

The BPMs are there as a guide. All they do is get you in the ballpark, as others have said. Sometimes they are confusing as well as they count the off beats only so the count comes up half of what it should be in your headphones, DnB tunes are notorious for that. So they are no help at all for that.

My advice is just keep on it. The ear does learn and you do develop a sense of it so you can beatmatch without thinking about it. Its like an autopilot thing.

A hint I have always stood by as it is good advice - When youre moving the platter on or back, be it on a controller, a CDJ or a turntable, people tend to focus a lot on pushing or pulling the record in and forget to make the small incremental changes on the pitch slider. It sounds obvious but you even see pro DJs nursing records in live, stating the obvious but if you're constantly trying to push a record in then its too slow so make the change on the pitch slider, then you wont need to!

Also a quick way of telling if it is accurately beatmatched is to put the second tune in, give it a couple of seconds and then pull it back a tiny touch. Then push it in and then ahead a tiny touch. If it was too slow when you pulled it back and equally too quick when you pushed it on then you know it is right in the middle where you need it to be.

Sometimes you get a track that does not match up with the beats you are playing or are ripped from vinyl (like I have), you can adjust the pitch as much as you can, but some tracks need constant attention during the entirety of the mix.

...And doesn't it suck when you're B2B with someone and they keep throwing these vinyl rips at you with the subtle pitch changes that you are working very hard with and think you're on top of... then someone starts talking to you and it slips out. PANIC hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCombover View Post
    you even see pro DJs nursing records in live, stating the obvious but if you're constantly trying to push a record in then its too slow so make the change on the pitch slider, then you wont need to!
    Sometimes I will have my hand on the platter the entire mix or a lot of it, because I either ran out of time to beatmatch beforehand or just messed up.. and I'm in the middle of the mix and beatmatching at the same time.. sometimes I've got it under control with the platter it's better to just keep doing that and to finish the mix rather than taking my hand off the platter and drifting.

With my old decks, CDJ-100S's.. they had only 0.1% pitch steps so having the beat drift off a little was common even if you had it beatmatched pretty good. Having to make little corrections several times in a mix was not too rare at all.

the last few days i have been tring to mix industrial goth, some songs flow nicely into each other, even after 8 hours of trying some will just not go at all, need to figure out a way to do it because nothing is impossible just have not figured a way of doing it.

Even tried layering, and used the dreaded sync button too, even with sync some tracks was still having issues, basically the tracks don't have any break downs and seem very not dj friendly, but im not giving in but i forgot one thing filters maybe they will work