Thread: Family friendly rap music apropriate for a wedding? Is there such a thing?

Family friendly rap music apropriate for a wedding? Is there such a thing?

Full disclosure. I hate rap music. Always have. Always will.

If I client wants rap music for their wedding I don't take the gig. However, there have been a few times where, halfway through the reception, the guests (and sometimes even the B&G) start requesting a lot of rap. Since I don't know the genre can someone give me a list of some classic, well known rap songs that might be acceptable for a wedding that I can have ready for just such a situation. I have some like Low and that stupid Applebottom Jeans song but I need some more.

Thanks.

Well ok. Tell us how you really feel... which is basically irrelevant on paid gigs. We're there to play music that the crowd wants. I don't like country music yet I have a small number of tracks just like what you appear to want to do.

I use the following chart to determine tracks that are likely to be requested. I find that those in the Top 25 are very likely to be requested and then further the track is from there, the less likely it'll be requested. I guess I recommend looking for rap songs in the top 50 - which would be (as of Oct 4, 2018):

* Usher Feat. Ludacris & Lil' Jon - Yeah
    * V.I.C. - Wobble
    * R. Kelly - Ignition
    * Lmfao Feat. Lauren Bennett And Goon Rock - Party Rock Anthem

As an aside, I had all of the above requested in my recent gig (Quinceañera).
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I played a wedding where the only thing I could get people to dance to was "old school" hip hop.

Big Poppa, Gold Digger, P.I.M.P, Party Up, Talk Dirty to me, breathe and stop, gettin jiggy wit it, Let's talk about sex, ready or not, rodeo, so fresh so clean, get ur freak on, doin it, joy and pain, baby got back, etc.

In my area, "old skool" rap from about 1995-2005 is the sweet spot, depending on the age group. Some go-to tracks for me, leaning heavily on pre-2000:

DMX - Party Up
    Ice Cube - You Can Do It (the clean version is still very suggestive)
    Mase - Feel So Good
    OutKast - The Way You Move, Ms. Jackson, Hey Ya!
    Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize, Mo Money Mo Problems, Big Poppa, Juicy
    Will Smith - Gettin' Jiggy Wit It, Miami
    Blackstreet - No Diggity
    Nelly - Country Grammar, Ride Wit Me
    Pras - Ghetto Supastar
    Salt-N-Pepa - Shoop, Whatta Man
    Jagged Edge - Where the Party At
    Warren G - Regulate
    Missy Elliott - Work It, Get Ur Freak On
    2Pac - California Love
    Snoop Dogg - Gin & Juice, Who Am I (What's My Name)
    Fat Joe - What's Luv?
    Big Pun - Still Not a Player
    Kanye West - Gold Digger
    Dr. Dre - The Next Episode
    Mariah Carey ft. ODB - Fantasy
    Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack
    Ol' Dirty Bastard - Got Your Money

As KLH said, it really doesn't matter how you feel about rap music, it's inevitable that you'll get requests for it. I hated this stuff when it was popular, but damn it's fun to mix! Much like my loathing for country music, I've come to really appreciate some of it, and if it gets people dancing, then who cares what your personal opinion is - you're doing your job.

Here's a good starting point for research:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37...1DX8ky12eWIvcW

Good luck with the most recent rap (Post Malone, Migos, Future, Lil *insert rapper name here*). IMO 99% of it is undanceable, and I rarely ever get requests for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Drop the bass, and the bacon.

Ah man... hip hop is some of the best party music there is, and some of the most widely accepted. Open your mind.

Look up the DJ Intelligence most requested PDF... They have a 50 page document that breaks down pretty much all the hits from 1960-current.

the most obvious one to me for getting toddlers to grannies up to rap - Cypress Hill 'Insane In The Brain' - lots of good covers on that tune as well, cutting-out all the 'questionable words', notably a jump-up reggae number by Horseman - if you're like me and really dont like hardcore rap yet want to keep rap fans happy, use a version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuaefqgKs-g
    Last edited by dlove; 10-06-2018 at 03:58 AM.

You should check out DMS. They have lots of versions of tracks as well as dj friendly intros and all clean tracks (no swearing) - which would be appropriate at a wedding reception.