Thread: Help with wireless

Help with wireless

I am getting into lighting and since I will be doing most of my work alone I wanted to go wireless without having to constantly work the lights while DJing. I currently have 2 Chauvet Intimidator 360 IRC's, Chauvet Gigbar2, 6 Chauvet Freedom Pars, 4 freedom sticks, and a few non branded wash lights. Because I use rekordbox I was thinking of going with their DMX1 but was wondering if I should also attach a Chauvet Flarecon to that? Hate to waste money. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to DJF, gmsutton. I'm interested in this too.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I would suggest just wiring them up. Any time you save by not running DMX cable is pretty much used up by wiring up the wireless receivers. Plus, the reliability of most cheap wireless DMX is questionable. Only wireless I really trust is W-DMX and Lumenradio.

You can use just about any DMX software, just program a handful of scenes before the event and you're set. There is no software that will sync to your DJ software and automatically put on a good light show (at least not without a ton of prep work on each song).

My big problem now is that the Chauvet Freedom Pars and sticks are strictly wireless DMX. I using them as uplighting and in glow totems. Right now I am keeping them slaved and use the IRC remote to control them. Same with the intimidators. Just wanted to see if any of the DJ's here have used the new Pioneer RB-DMX1 and has used it with Chauvet Freedom/IRC lighting. I'm a little confused because it seems like all these manufacturers are very proprietary when it comes to controlling their lights.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsutton View Post
    it seems like all these manufacturers are very proprietary when it comes to controlling their lights.
    Yes that is the problem, I have not had the chance to play with any of the Chauvet wireless fixtures and have avoided buying any because I don't want to get cornered with a system that won't cooperate with other brands. I have a variety of generic wireless devices now, I have a Donner transmitter and another generic wireless set with a single transmitter and 6 receivers and all of these work together no problem, I also have 28 Rasha wireless uplights that both of those transmitters work with and I have also used moving heads and various hazer machines with it. Once I figured out that all these various fixtures just need to be set to slave mode I have had no problems with them following the controller and I have done quite a few events now in very large ballrooms with 20-30 fixtures and with probably 100-150ft between the the Tx and Rx. I do find that the Transmitter needs to be elevated some to work best with uplights so I tape it to the back on one if the speakers or on a light stand if it is handy.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Would something like his work for you?
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...IaAvXmEALw_wcB