Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best slipmat for scratching, beatmatching, and for just overall use as a DJ

Best slipmat for scratching, beatmatching, and for just overall use as a DJ

Best slipmat for scratching, beatmatching, and a slipmat just for general, overall use as a DJ?

Hello all, pleasure to meet you,

I like turntablism, so I do a lot of scratching, beatmatching, and even more scatching tricks. I have been using DJ Q-Bert’s buttermat. I have yet to use his new one yet. Anyway what slipmap do you use to get the best out of your turntablist tricks, beatmatching, etc. Do you use different slipmats for different occasions?

I read about a way you can use a plastic bag as a slipmat? Anyone here tried that? I tried it and it surely is good for really fast scratching.

Thanks for any input you may have
    Last edited by Xavier; 09-27-2018 at 06:15 AM. Reason: ‘Cause I’m a moron

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I read about a way you can use a plastic bag as a slipmat? Anyone here tried that?
    No, oven paper cut to shape works best. I live in a country where bags are made to be biodegradable, and they flake apart. Would not put that anywhere near my decks.

I use Sicmats.

Thread moved to accessories
    Last edited by Manu; 09-27-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Oven mats , that’s a great idea. Thanks
    I’m pro-environment myself. America needs more biodegradable things, a lot more. I used the plastic bags in the past because of the speed when scratchin’ but with the oven mats I could probably get the same speed, maybe better.

Sicmats, ok, yeah I’ll give them a try thanks. Seems they have all different kinds , I’m on a website now that sells them and they have all kinds of cool designs on them. Much better loooking then DJ Q-Bert’s buttermats which are just black, but very, very thin, which allows me to scratch very well with them. Are the sicmats thin? I have found if they are thin and the vinyl doesn’t stick to the slipmats they work great for me when scratchin’.

Thank you Manu
    Last edited by Xavier; 09-27-2018 at 08:39 AM.

I use Sicmats because I prefer the feel of those, they're thin but not rigid. I also have a pair of Cream branded butter rugs, they're a lot harder and more rigid, but they feel faster and the difference is quite obvious when doing a spinback, they just provide more momentum and inertia. As a DJ I still prefer something a bit more smooth, for comfort and precision over speed, hence why I'm using Sicmats.

And yes you may notice an improvement using an underlayer of oven paper. It gives a lot of extra slip, a bit like a car clutch. Back in the day, some clubs would expect DJs to bring their own slipmats, and some DJs simply turned up to the gig without a pair. They would just cut a bit of paper and go on with that.
    Last edited by Manu; 09-27-2018 at 10:33 AM.

That’s actually really great information, thank you Manu. Nice setup you got their by the way. I’m saving up for two technics, but for now I got old numarks. I was thinking of buying reloop turntables or technics. I can’t make up my mind. I heard great things about both of them, and on the plus side reloops are cheaper. Some are about the same price as technics though. However, technics are made to last forever ( like Mercedes Benz last forever, seriously they are so well made they last forever as long as you take good care of it and give it the right parts when needed , it will literally last forever. Technics I see as the same from what I read. ), I’m not so sure with reloop.

Welcome to DJF, Xavier. I use ThudRumble's Butter Rugs version 2 - as you do. I suck at turntablism because I haven't put in the time.
    Last edited by KLH; 09-28-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I too use (Traktor branded, not sure why) Butter Rugs in combination with bog standard felt jobbies (Magma brand, I think). As mentioned elsewhere, I'm no 'tablist, but I'm slowly teaching myself some new tricks. However, I still play a lot of vinyl and I don't feel comfortable using the BR's by themselves, hence the combo.ß

I have original butter rugs signed by Q-bert and Yoga at a gig I went to years ago...
    cos I'm a fanboy.

...I suck at scratching....
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Are you saying butter rugs are only for fanboys? Or is what you said all true?
    Last edited by Xavier; 10-02-2018 at 10:11 PM.

KLH : Haven’t put in the time? Your profile says your a professional DJ. Do you mean you are not so good at turntablism and scratching? I always thought Pro-DJs had to know some scratch skills.
    Last edited by Xavier; 10-02-2018 at 10:12 PM.