Thread: Portable Battery Powered Subwoofer

Portable Battery Powered Subwoofer

Aloha

I'm hoping the world wide audio-head community can help a musician in need of advice. I'm looking to build a portable sound rig that will all fit onto a custom-build bicycle trailer....but pump out as much bass as possible!

More info:
    -Powered by lithium batteries...could be either 12v or 24v, whichever is more effective.
    -This rig will mainly be used in the street for small-medium crowds (say max100)
    -Music type is a mix of bass heavy electronic and acoustic, including alot of drumming...so ideally the sub would need to be effective down to at least 40hz if possible and also give a good thump.

So its crucial for the sub to be: lightweight and power efficient.

Sooo... any help with advice on:

Box Design & Materials: lightweight, not too big(say max 24" x 18" x 18")
    I've found a wee bit of info on guys using foam core, laminated in fibreglass. Is this the lightest feasible material?
    Whats the best box design to push out the bass to fill the open air space and maximise on the power used?

Driver:
    Whats the best options for a lightweight power efficient driver that will reach the low frequency desired?

Amp:
    Whats the most efficient amp type that will give the necessary power?
    I've read that the class T amps are super efficient. Is there such a thing as classT amps to drive a sub?
    Would I be better off using 12 or 24 volts?

Wiring:
    My sound will be coming out of a Motu Mk4 audio interface which has multiple 1/4" TRS dc coupled outputs: 2 are L/R output, the others are balanced. What would be the best way to wire my audio to the different speakers?

Thanks for reading and any advice offered
    Last edited by clonman123; 09-25-2018 at 03:14 AM.

There is not a battery operated sub woofer available in the world at this time that I'm aware of.

Re-think your plan and look at a self powered sub (means the amp is built in) and go with an inverter which converts 12v into 120v. The car towing the trailer at an idle can give you all the power you need.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

actually, there is a manufactured battery powered subwoofer that may fit the bill for you, although it looks as if you want to make it from the ground up.
    https://carvinaudio.com/pages/archiv...able-subwoofer
    ive been busking with battery powered equipment for years. i would recommend going the route of an inverter, as the gentleman above recommended.