Thread: Sound Interface

Sound Interface

Hi

Sorry to ask again but am still not sure about buying a sound interface, I get that using one is better sound quality so that is why i want one,

i am not sure on finding the right one, what do people plug into them apart from speakers?

USB powered or one with AC adaptor?

USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

have come across Focusrite 6 USB and is only USB 1, would this be a problem with latency?

Thanks

LS
    Last edited by Lee Stevens; 09-24-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Hi Lee,

I didn't see your previous post so I don't know what advice you were given, but to answer your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stevens View Post
    i am not sure on finding the right one, what do people plug into them apart from speakers?
    Anything that needs to be recorded/monitored in the computer, e.g. a microphone, the outputs from a DJ mixer, etc.

USB powered or one with AC adaptor?
    That depends on its use, if you’re not recording more than two channels at a time and the drivers are up to date, buss powered should be fine and definitely more convenient if you intend to travel with it.

USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
    That depends on your computer, your budget and your intended use, none of which you’ve mentioned in this post.

have come across Focusrite 6 USB and is only USB 1, would this be a problem with latency?
    Not necessarily, but if you can afford newer technology it would make more sense going forward to get that instead. How long before the OS’s of the future won’t support USB 1? Might even be the case now…

Unless you’re setting up a big recording studio, you’re unlikely to need more than two inputs simultaneously, so it doesn’t make sense to buy something with more than two inputs. Extra outputs are always handy but not always necessary, so probably two outputs (for your monitors) + at least one headphone output; be aware that some manufacturers count headphone outs as part of the overall output count (each headphone out counts as two because they’re stereo).

Some audio interfaces have one or more 5 pin DIN connectors labelled as MIDI in, MIDI out or, rarely these days, MIDI thru and, unsurprisingly, they send MIDI data in, out or thru the device. However, even interfaces without these connectors can/do send MIDI data via USB (or whatever connection they have with the computer) but they aren’t as easy to set up with older MIDI devices that don’t have USB, e.g. vintage synthesisers, etc.

Without knowing anything more about your current and possible future equipment and intentions I don’t think there’s a lot more that I can add. HTH

If for DJ'ing... Novation Audio Hub. https://uk.novationmusic.com/launch/audiohub-2x4

If you might be recording vocals etc and Dj use. https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-inte...t/scarlett-2i4

Anything cheaper is pretty much tat! For Dj'ing you'll want the 4 outs. If not recording you don't need the MIC preamp. Most new Midi works via USB so no need for the Midi port. Don't buy something old, you might get driver issues sooner. Buying new or better quality will also hold a higher resale value. USB 1 is perfectly fine for audio, however some motherboards give it low priority on IRQ's, if shared with graphics etc it can cause you issues to which you need to lower the latency of the device. (edit: but the issue is the motherboard not the device).

Or just buy a decent level controller with the audio interface built in.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 09-25-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Hi Guys,

Had to take the plunge as finances are extremely limited and always on a shoestring..

Got a Saffire 6 USB for 30 dollars, how cool!!

First thought it was USB 2 as I could see that driver disk in the pics posted but checked serial on device and confirmed is in-fact USB 1.1, plugged into PC downloaded driver, Boom! shows in device manager OK, not connected speakers yet as got a phono cable on order..

Should I expect to hear any difference in quality when using the audio interface?

Cheers for you help guys,

LS

Should I expect to hear any difference in quality when using the audio interface?

It should be better than what you expected, enjoy.