Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand overs

Question Hand overs

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in 'Off Topic', so please forgive me and feel free to move if necessary.

When you're part of a line up of DJ's and you know who is playing before and/or after you do you ever tailor your set to make the transition from one DJ to the next as smooth as possible or do you prefer to make a grand entrance and/or exit? Does it depend on the occasion, your relationship (good or bad) with the other DJ's and/or promoter?

Not encouraging dishing dirt or anything, just curious as to what goes through the minds of DJ's before they get to the venue.

Depends on what position you are in the lineup. If you're a headliner and you want to play some special intro or trademark opening it doesn't really matter because you'll do your own thing regardless of the last guy. If you're just the opening guy or somewhere in the middle and passing the decks to another lower-tier jock then I tend to play something long and relatively easy to mix out of without any surprises. Sure, we all like to end with a "remember me" track but unless you're actually closing the club it doesn't really matter that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in 'Off Topic', so please forgive me and feel free to move if necessary.

When you're part of a line up of DJ's and you know who is playing before and/or after you do you ever tailor your set to make the transition from one DJ to the next as smooth as possible or do you prefer to make a grand entrance and/or exit? Does it depend on the occasion, your relationship (good or bad) with the other DJ's and/or promoter?

Not encouraging dishing dirt or anything, just curious as to what goes through the minds of DJ's before they get to the venue.
    You play the position that is assigned to you. If you're the warm up DJ, then you play slow ambient tracks. Your main job is really just warming up the club system and building up a little anticipation for the next DJ.

If you're the midway DJ, you play things that are little bit more uptempo, but without slamming down anything major. Your job is to just build up the vibe and anticipation for the main DJ.

If you're the main DJ, then you better bloody well have a good understanding of basic music notation. Playing hit after hit is one thing. Playing them in a complementary way that makes the tracks sound good together will take your mixes to a whole new level.

As for the handover, sometimes I've talked to the guy on before me about the tempo at the end of his set. If not, over his last couple tracks I'll see where he's at to figure out my start. For the guy after me, I usually ask what he'd prefer as a starting tempo and we agree on either that or a compromise. For the last track, I put on a long one that's easy to mix into and get out of the way once it's all in. If I want to play a killer last track, I'll make it 2nd to last, then put the long mix-in last track on to serve as a set wind-down, provide a stable transition to the next guy, and allow him to come in any way he wants.

My rule in this situation is don't end the set with a banger and I usually play a long song to give the next DJ time to get setup and to give me time to pack up (with the exception of my USB, obviously).

The 'scene' I play in tends toward Black American, Caribbean & African music, a pretty wide spectrum for sure, but not infinite. Anyway, the point is that I'll usually be taking over or handing over to a DJ that, like myself, plays from a mixture of the above. If, for example, I know that the next DJ is likely to lead with a 90's Rap track, I might end my set with some 90's Dancehall, something that crossed over into the Hip Hop crowd of that era. In that scenario my last and his/her first track can both be 'bangers', but as others have said, it does depend on the nature of the event and the timing in the context of the night overall.

I remember this dude hard-finale'ing right before my set one time. I was pissed. I always gave someone a fair transition.

But then I found a lot of bigger underground DJs were basically starting their 2 hour sets from scratch, not transitioning straight like the old school, even while playing at parties where no one was paying direct attention to the DJ, and I realized if these guys didn't care and also were equipped to follow a strong finale, I could too.

If someone gets too bombastic right at the end, red lining a banger and everything, then put on something slow and weird and tension building. Give yourself a five minute intro.

The 'scene' I play in tends toward Black American, Caribbean & African music, a pretty wide spectrum for sure, but not infinite. Anyway, the point is that I'll usually be taking over or handing over to a DJ that, like myself, plays from a mixture of the above. If, for example, I know that the next DJ is likely to lead with a 90's Rap track, I might end my set with some 90's Dancehall, something that crossed over into the Hip Hop crowd of that era. In that scenario my last and his/her first track can both be 'bangers', but as others have said, it does depend on the nature of the event and the timing in the context of the night overall.
    I used to think that was doing them a favor but if you've been doing dancehall for the past 20 minutes and the next DJ is about to come on, then keep it on dancehall so they crowd notices the DJ change lining up with the music change. That way your exit, his entrance, and their expectations are all lining up.

Unless you're like, a sneaky spy or something ;D
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

Good thread. Rep all around.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

yeah, good thread - I agree on the 'depends on the nature of the event', supporting headliners/guests by setting the scene for them [playing it safe], or freaking each other out if playing with family some of my favourite nights have memories of getting handed the headphones with a 'haha'

Hahahaha yes Good thread guys.

Let me tell you a story.

Many moons ago I warmed up for a very well known hard house/hard trance DJ/performer at a very well-known hard house/acid/tribal techno night at the Fridge in Brixton. He was a bit of an idol of mine and had been absolutely lovely to me during the soundcheck, we shared a cup of tea and a nice chat about general stuff. He was a real gent.

Now, being the poiite sort of chap I was, I had this question in my head the whole time when I was chatting to him. "What tune would you like me to hand it off to you with?"

I figured it was quite small time to ask that of a major international DJ and star so I thought again. "What sort of BPM would you like to start with?"

Again, I thought maybe it sounded a little lame (in hindsight it really didn't and I'd be happy if the guy before me asked me that, I think it shows professionalism and good manners) as I say at the time I was younger and more stupidly concerned with how people saw me. So I didn't ask him.

All through my set I was watching him, trying to ascertain over the banging noise whether he was ok or pissed off with how I was playing. Then I had a little bit of a moment. I remember it vividly. I was playing a fairly brisk tech-trance set as the guy coming on after me was going to play his trademark acid hard trance and to be honest that suited me. I chopped off all the breakdowns and ponderous thinky bits and just piled on this relentless mix which in hinidsight was pretty good but I didn't realise that at the time. (Isnt that always the way? You're so focused on not trainwrecking everything that you don't take time to enjoy what you are actually knocking out?)

So i'm playing this set and I did this fantastic mix into George Hales - Autumn Falls, it was on Somatic IIRC. Anyway I caned this mix in and it just went off. The crowd visibly bristled and you know when a rush of energy runs round the room? Yeah, that. I went nuts behind the decks, feeling a bit silly that I wasn't enjoying my own set and was worrying so much about what to hand off to the guy after me etc. It all came flooding back - I just played my tunes and enjoyed myself. There's this glorious driving breakdown against a haunting piano riff, it rises and rises and I was going spacko behind the decks, I think I even ran out from behind and started hugging the tech guys.

Here is the tune in case you care lol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxVyWBYIVjY

It was just the perfect tune at the perfect time. I cant really explain it. It gives me goosebumps thinking about it even now. Next thing I know there's a tap on my shoulder and its the DJ going on after me. I damn near crapped my pants. Oh my God!!! I've just smashed it up in the main room and I'm supposed to be warming the crowd up!! The promoter (my mate) is going to kill me!! Shit!! What am I going to say to him? I hurriedly pulled out my headphones and started making way for the man himself.

He gives me a massive hug and a kiss on both cheeks and goes "F**king tune mate!!" and tells me to let it play. So I do. We both went nuts behind the decks. It was mental.

With about thirty seconds left, cool as you like he mixes his tune in, continuing right where I left off.

Moral of this story - don't overthink it. Enjoy yourself and there's nothing wrong with being polite.
    Last edited by PerryCombover; 10-10-2018 at 12:39 PM.