Thread: Need help EV EKX 15 subs limit before EKX 12 top

Need help EV EKX 15 subs limit before EKX 12 top

Hey guys. New user here. I did some research but could not find a valid answer to this.

I am mobile DJ. One of my speaker setup is EV 2x EKX 15 Sub and 2x EKX 12 top. When I set everything correctly and at 0 db on the speakers and sub no matter what I do, the sub always limit before the top. I have to drop the sub to at least -6 to -10 db to get them to peak at the same time. All settings to "Music" mode

If you have similar setup, how do you guys set them up?

Thanks

It's not uncommon for that to be the case. Modern music has most of its energy in the bass region. If you're happy with how they sound setting the subs at -6dB there's nothing wrong with that. If you're maxing out on the subs and want more bass, then it's time for new subs.

A 2:1 ratio of subs to tops isn't unusual. Add two more subs and you'll get 6dB more in the lows.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Yeah that sounds about right, many popular music genres have a 6-10dB bass boost built in these days, some even more. I pair up ZLX12p's with EKX18sp's and IMO that is a near perfect match for todays DJ music. If you want to fully utilize those EKX tops add 2 more subs as Bill suggested.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Yep I thought so, thanks for your feedback. I was curious how other with similar setup were setting them up in term of output gain and other settings to get the best out of the kit.

Another aspect is placement. If you've got the subs out front with the mains pole mounted above them that's costing you a lot of output. Read this. While many of the details apply to horn loaded subs the basic rules of acoustics apply to all subs:
    https://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/v...php?f=10&t=398
    Bill Fitzmaurice

That link was pretty informative although I knew most of it. It won't change the fact that the sub is limiting before the top but still very nice post.

Correct placement won't change the power level where the limiter kicks in but it can increase levels in the listening area by 6 to 10dB compared to bad placement, so it shouldn't be ignored.
    Bill Fitzmaurice