Thread: How to connect new speaker setup

How to connect new speaker setup

Hello all!

I just purchased this bundle of EV speakers, and am struggling to figure out how to properly connect them together. I've been researching all week and have started to understand some of the basic concepts like active vs passive, and what a mixer generally is.

However, I could really use your help on figuring out an initial, working, setup - from there I can experiment and tweak things to learn more about this fascinating subject!

Here's a breakdown of what we're working with:

HAVE:
    • x2) Powered Loudspeakers: each with two XLR 3-pin inputs, and one XLR output
    • x1) Powered Subwoofer: with two XLR inputs, and two XLR outputs
    • x4) 15 foot XLR cables (can buy more of these)
    • x1) Computer to use as input
    • x1) Microphone to use as input

NEED: (please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these)
    • x1) Mixer: with three XLR outputs (2 loudspeakers, 1 sub), and two (XLR?) inputs (1 computer, 1 microphone)
    • ???

The above is essentially what I've been able to figure out myself. Can you please recommend me the best mixer for this setup? And how to go about connecting the various pieces together - will everything connect with XLR? How does the computer end up connecting? My initial search for mixers is only showing mixers with two XLR outputs - why aren't there mixers with more outputs?

Thanks for your help!
    Tabascot

You also need an audio interface or a decent quality controller. There's no excuses this day and age to be 1 of those DJ's that uses the laptop headphone out to connect to the mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabascot View Post

NEED: (please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these)
    • x1) Mixer: with three XLR outputs (2 loudspeakers, 1 sub), and two (XLR?) inputs (1 computer, 1 microphone)
    • ???

The above is essentially what I've been able to figure out myself. Can you please recommend me the best mixer for this setup? And how to go about connecting the various pieces together - will everything connect with XLR? How does the computer end up connecting? My initial search for mixers is only showing mixers with two XLR outputs - why aren't there mixers with more outputs?
    Tabascot, nice little system you got there. Yes you need a mixer, a small desktop prosound mixer like the Mackie ProFX8 would do the job, it has everything you need to connect all your inputs for best sound quality including an integrated USB soundcard.
    No you don't need a mixer with 3 outputs, with a system like this the typical connection config is L and R outputs from the mixer to the sub inputs, then 1 output from the sub to each ZLX box.
    Set the internal crossovers in each ZLX speaker for 100hz or use the appropriate preset... in the ZLX under the SUB menu select ZXa1 sub if available. In this case the sub has an internal crossover for itself at 100hz and that cannot be changed or defeated.
    Microphones will connect to one of the XLR mic inputs and in this case I suggest connecting the laptop to the USB input. If at some point you buy a DJ controller then it can be connected to one of the stereo line input channels with RCA to TS cables.

With all that done you have a functioning system, I think you will find that the sub runs into limit a lot sooner than the ZLX boxes but that depends upon music type, just for reference I put an EKX18sp sub with a pair of ZLX12p's for DJs and it is a good match IMO.
    Last edited by conanski; 09-19-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks for the answers mitchiemasha and conaski!

You also need an audio interface or a decent quality controller. There's no excuses this day and age to be 1 of those DJ's that uses the laptop headphone out to connect to the mixer.
    Can you expand on this please? Will doing as you recommend increase the sound quality of the setup, or is it more of a DJ 'skill' type of thing?

Tabascot, nice little system you got there. Yes you need a mixer, a small desktop prosound mixer like the Mackie ProFX8 would do the job, it has everything you need to connect all your inputs for best sound quality including an integrated USB soundcard.
    No you don't need a mixer with 3 outputs, with a system like this the typical connection config is L and R outputs from the mixer to the sub inputs, then 1 output from the sub to each ZLX box.
    Thanks for the detailed answer! Based on your recommendation I ended up buying this Mackie PROFX8V2 mixer. Your description how to connect the speakers to each other makes sense - very helpful thank you!

A laptop headphone output produces rather low quality sound, connecting via USB removes the cheap laptop soundcard from the signal chain and ensures you get as much fidelity as possible, the quality of your sound files will be the only limitation.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com