Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJs and Turntablists: A Definite Difference

DJs and Turntablists: A Definite Difference

I know what disc jockeys do and I know what turntablists do and to me, while some aspects overlap - they are two entirely different skill sets -- yet both are categorized as DJs.

I certainly cannot do what a lot of you guys on here can do and guys like Q-Bert, Mixmaster Mike, the Beat Junkies, etc., etc. - but can those guys beatmatch and blend two songs seamlessly for a minute? Can they read the crowd and fill the dance floor? Perhaps - but that's not what they're famous for.

Did a quick site search and found a similar topic from KayPlaya distinguishing DJs and producers and EDM "DJs":
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...ht=turntablist
    ...but not exactly

What say you?
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Aaand I have a mix coming soon, that doesn't quite fall into both categories even though it uses both techniques. Go figure.

I would say DJing is not limited to just scratching vs beatmatching. I can beatmatch ad infinitum but I always felt like this is not a means to all ends. I more or less stopped scratching because I hate losing a record to wear and tear, but I will eventually use the odd digital file for scratching. Then I bought a mixer specific to my preference of being able to blend smooth rather than cut quick, even if I can cut quick.

There was that DJ Derek dude, look him up. Raggae DJ, no beatmatching, no scratching, doing sets using 2 minidisc portable players. Doing just that he is demonstrating another skill, which is that of song selection, and to me that is more important than any other technicality.

Different skill sets bring different results, to different audiences. Apples and oranges.

Here's a clue.

Can Q-bert beatmatch?

Like a machine.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Most people would agree that a DJ is an entertainer that uses prerecorded music to entertain a group of people. If we can agree on that, then doing additional things with the music during a show will separate types of DJs. As you've mentioned, Turntablists use different techniques with turntables; others use beatmatching. Still others simply use song selection.

DJing is an artform that has yet to be locked down. Over the past decade, live production techniques have increasingly been added (for examples, controllerism or live remixing). The search continues for other techniques that can be added. Hopefully, the evolution of DJing will never end. After all, it begins and ends with the music.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I've always thought of myself as a selector that can do some DJ stuff, which I would define as being able to manipulate the turntables (or whatever) such that the music being played is presented as the 'DJ' intended, whether that's blended (beat matched), scratched in or dropped in (usually, but not always, on the one). The service that DJ's provide is entertainment, for some audiences that means 'play my favourite tune and others like it', or 'impress me with your ability to go back and forth between two turntables', etc. In other words, some people appreciate the 'skills' side of the DJ, while others would prefer the DJ to not get in the way of the music they're trying to hear.

Slightly rambling so I'll conclude: DJ's are either 'selectors', 'blenders', 'turntablists' (which I think of as musicians) or any combination of the three. All just my opinion, of course.

Anybody with a phone can DJ plain and simple... skills on the other hand is a different story!
    Now in my situation, I've been djng since '98. I started off on Gemini xl-500 belt drives and practiced forever to build the ear for proper beat matching and blending. I'm a House Head through and through. It's what I spin after work to unwind, what I enjoy producing. I know how to build a set for whatever type of event that's asking for House music.
    That being said when I've ventured outside of clubs and lounges to spin Open format style... That gets me out of my comfort zone BIG TIME. Because I honestly don't have the skills, confidence or knowledge in order to carry a night like that. (spinning longer than an hour).
    I wish I would've started off all those years back as an open format DJ, not only would I have learned how to beat match, it would've taught me how to be a more well rounded DJ. There's no other style that shows your TRUE skill as a DJ than Open Format.
    I've been practicing this style for over a year now and I've fallen back in love with mixing all over again. The Combos of tracks you can create, re-edits, word-play, having the entire HISTORY of music to play with! Not mention each mix gives you different ways to blend... cut n scratch that sucker, drop it on the 1, smooth blend etc!
    Anyways.... Yeah, Open format all the way... if you can master that, you can rock anything.
    Last edited by Crushgroove; 09-18-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Yeah - frankly, they are all DJs. The difference is what skills a DJ has in their toolbox - one skill isn't necessarily better than the other, or it is - the judge is the venue you're performing in. The average consumer doesn't want to attend a DMC competition - they just want to hear their favorite tunes, get drunk, sing along with their friends, and dance the night away. They could give two ***** about you putting your ego on display. That's about as basic as it gets.

DJ's focus on the music itself and overall presentation of the music generally speaking. Turntablists focus primarily on technical skills and presentation of skills for but not limited to other turntablists. Most often, the general public could care less about a juggle pattern or a 3 click flare. They just want to hear good music and be entertained in whatever venue they are attending. Peace be with you..............Rob Mixx

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Then I bought a mixer specific to my preference of being able to blend smooth rather than cut quick, even if I can cut quick.
    What mixer?
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

Xone 62

I also took into account that I could have up to 6 channels.