Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liking your own music you produce?

Liking your own music you produce?

Hi People. Ive got a question and maybe a theory for all us new and bedroom producers i think we can discuss and i think it might help some people including myself out.

Once you get the hang of starting to find your own sound. And you start spitting out tracks, they eventully start sounding boaring or silly to yourself. (Note your tracks are completed and the mix down is done) then you leave those tracks and pull them up a few months later in my instance listening to it in my car with mates. And every one including myself is like wow what awesome shit is this???

Have you experienced that and what does it mean or is it a good sign?

Mr Lee

Sent from my SM-G532F using Tapatalk

I am not a producer but I understand your point.

I tend to find that the individual is his own worst critic. You may be overly critical of your own tracks. Maybe let some friends, whom you respect and trust, have a listen and ask them for their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lee View Post
    Have you experienced that and what does it mean or is it a good sign?
    Liking your own stuff isn't automatic, as stated above. So yes, it's always a good sign if you enjoy it.
    Unforgiving, unrelenting, unrecoverable double beats!

Once the wife and kid are asleep... the DJ awakens

I've just started producing about a year ago.

All of my tracks sounded like crap. There was a few elements in each track I thought were good, but the part does not make the whole. I have started to make tracks I think sound good and I like. I release all my music on my website as well as on social media and I contribute to a record pool.

I am still finding "my" sound. I am just still testing the waters I guess.

Well, I think my own tunes sound sometimes like a peace of crap, and sometimes like super-hits.
    Over-listening will make you ill.

Definitely give it some time. I usually listen to some other gender ,sometimes not even electronic music. it just clears that cloud of mixed thoughts about your own song as well as overwhelming sound in general. But i could say i like my music more then disliking it. Listening it as an example for improvement. Trying to find what/where/when to add some extra sound etc.

And i definitely agree with Heigen5 - Over-listening will make you ill.

There are some points in my old tracks where I really like and surprise myself with quality, but generally, I just learn from the old ones. I do not take time to sit down and examine them, I will catch a track in my library when making a playlist and there are some I would include in a mix and others I will not.

I am always getting better and I think that should be the takeaway here, imo.

Nope... Nobody likes the records I produce.

I was a vocalist and absolutely hated the sound of my own voice - was compared to a cross between Souxie Soux and Mark E Smith by a journalist who said he liked it?! I was mortified. Anyway, I'm more naturally a songwriter, but my forays onto the stage with a mic' has seriously put me off speaking on radio shows, which is annoying, as I need to do this now, with the type of shows I get asked to play on the radio. Currently my latest mix is held-up by one sentence I need to say at the start. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    speaking on radio shows - Currently my latest mix is held-up by one sentence I need to say at the start.
    I used to a vocal start to my radio sets, now I just have an intro drop and go from there. I don't like the sound of my own voice.

Hello Lee,

Haha when I first started my sounds was crap.... Honestly terrible, first five years later I am starting to enjoy the sound of my tracks! It can be hard to be self critical, what I do is compare my songs to other songs simular. So for example when I am happy with a track I put on my favorite Avicii song and compare sound quality etc. This way I find it easier to detect faults. Keep up the good work, would love to hear some of you stuff, I post all my songs on youtube and soundcloud!