Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording a Mix with Allen & Heath Xone 92

Recording a Mix with Allen & Heath Xone 92

Hey guys,
    So Ive been searching the web for pretty much the last week and cant find anything useful for my exact situation.
    So I'm using a Xone 92 Mixer with 2 CDJs 900NXS and 1 Technichs 1210 + some effectspedals. To be clear: I dont DJ with any software, notebook etc. just my three
    Decks. Im using the booth out to connect the mixer to my speakers at home and everything works perfectly.
    My Problem now is that I cant find a good way to record my sets.
    My first idea was the following: I have a 4 year old Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I went through the record out into the scarlett Line input 1 and
    tried to record using audacity. The quality was very bad on every setting I tried. (The RCA on the X92 dosent have adjustable volume).
    I then went and used the booth out into the line 1 input of the 2i2 and the quality is a lot better given that the booth out has volume control.
    The recording though in audacity still dosent sound that great. I cant quite describe it but the kick gets like a high frequency, bouncy, ringing kind of
    sound to it which is annoying. Can anybody help me with the topic? Should I get an Audio Interface by NativeInstruments or should I go for a portable mic like
    the Zoom models with an attenuator? Or is there anything im possibly missing with the Scarlett 2i2 settings?

Thanks for the help!!!

Change the recording input settings on audacity from mic to line in.

Where exactly can I find that setting?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was already using the settings as explained in the manual.
    Audiohost: MME
    Device: Focusrite
    Stereo recording
    Output: Focusrite

I dont know what else to change to make it sound better

The output is fine, I mentioned setting the input to line instead of mic. Every other detail can be found in the links above. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/..._how_to_s.html

I think that as soon as the 2i2 is plugged in and set as input device there is no option to change from mic to line. I cant find anything in the manual or in the programm itself

Than set the recording level. The entire procedure is fully detailed in the links above.

Make sure your "Line - Inst" switches on the front of the Scarlet are set to Line position. Use a dual RCA to 1/4 inch cable to connect from the two Rec Out RCA's on the mixer to the two 1/4 inch inputs on the front of the scarlet.

Bring the master of the 92 to around the 2 o'clock position and play a track.. adjusting your gains on the mixer such that you are hitting 1 or 2 blues on the meter (around +3). Now go into audacity and preview the levels in there. Set the input knobs on the scarlet to give you a nice level in audacity.. really if you are in doubt set it a bit low because you can normalize the track in audacity later and bring the level up but if you record it too high in audacity then it will sound crap and you can't fix it. So, a little low is better than a little high. And that should do it!

Why are you using the Scarlett when you have Audacity?

Can't you just get an RCA to 2.5mm cable and go straight from record-out on the mixer into the microphone input on your computer?