Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Recording a Mix with Allen & Heath Xone 92

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    Why are you using the Scarlett when you have Audacity?

    Can't you just get an RCA to 2.5mm cable and go straight from record-out on the mixer into the microphone input on your computer?
    I guess this is a bad idea? Why?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    I guess this is a bad idea? Why?
    Yes it's a bad idea. Because:

    1) Mic inputs on laptops are almost always mono.
    2) Mic inputs have far too high sensitivity to connect a DJ mixer, it will distort.
    3) Even if the above was able to work, the Focusrite Scarlet is going to sound better.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Yes it's a bad idea. Because:

    1) Mic inputs on laptops are almost always mono.
    2) Mic inputs have far too high sensitivity to connect a DJ mixer, it will distort.
    3) Even if the above was able to work, the Focusrite Scarlet is going to sound better.
    How about using a desktop with a high-end sound card?

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    How about using a desktop with a high-end sound card?
    That would work too. The only thing to watch out for being the level that is coming out of the mixer vs the level the line input on the sound card is able to handle without distortion. In the case of the xone:92, the level of the record output is -10dBv typical which is a common level for consumer RCA line outputs so should be fine for most recorders or sound cards. Compare to the Pioneer DJM's which output 0dBV typical.. which is a lot higher level, close to pro standard level, and not every sound card or recorder can handle it.

    Anyway yea basically the Focusrite Scarlet is a sound card.. a USB connected one. If you have an internal one with the right input and decent quality then it's basically the same result. The Focusrite is known to be excellent quality for most DJ purposes and at a good price which is why they are popular. I have one myself which is mostly used to play music off my laptop into my home sound system. Sure I could use the headphone jack on the laptop (internal sound card output) and I have.. but the focurite sounds better.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    That would work too. The only thing to watch out for being the level that is coming out of the mixer vs the level the line input on the sound card is able to handle without distortion. In the case of the xone:92, the level of the record output is -10dBv typical which is a common level for consumer RCA line outputs so should be fine for most recorders or sound cards. Compare to the Pioneer DJM's which output 0dBV typical.. which is a lot higher level, close to pro standard level, and not every sound card or recorder can handle it.

    Anyway yea basically the Focusrite Scarlet is a sound card.. a USB connected one. If you have an internal one with the right input and decent quality then it's basically the same result. The Focusrite is known to be excellent quality for most DJ purposes and at a good price which is why they are popular. I have one myself which is mostly used to play music off my laptop into my home sound system. Sure I could use the headphone jack on the laptop (internal sound card output) and I have.. but the focurite sounds better.
    Thanks for the info. It just seemed strange to put a device in between the laptop and mixer when you can just go straight into the laptop. I've done a bit of recording via the mic jack on my laptop and haven't noticed anything wrong with the quality.

    I think I'm gonna go another route though and pick up a Tascam DR-60D MKll or something similar.

  6. #16
    It's bad enough answering the same old questions over and over, but what's really annoying is when you take the time and then they don't come back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a