Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Dj's

Quote Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
    Your race is only an issue, if you make it an issue.
    I agree with this statement.

I share the OPs ethnicity and have not come across racism as a DJ... and I started in 2007.

DJing is about music, skill, and crowds having fun. It's a pure art. Let's keep it that way.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I think that depends on us how we remove the racism from society. I think there is no scope of racism in music, here only your voice and knowledge of music is a matter. Your color does not matter here whether it is black or white.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Carl Cox. Why so serious?
    Jeff Mills, Grooverider, Norman Jay, Don Letts...

Jazzy Jeff, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, Green Velvet, DJ Lord... I could go on.

Bravo to DJF for not bringing this thread into a cesspool that often follows on other forums. I lub this place.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Tough question.. cause you will find at least some racism anywhere you go. Even in the most supposedly enlightened scene it's going to come up eventually.. even in the electronic music scene which (in the USA) started out as a gay/black scene in the 1970's.. a place people who were discriminated against hardcore back then could go to get away from all that... But now it's more mainstream so you will get more of the same problems you get in everyday life. It's true that a lot of electronic scenes are overwhelmingly white and it makes me wonder why that is, because for the most part I think the electronic music scene.. the parts I've seen of it.. is pretty colorblind. Not that it doesn't happen, but def I think you will find that the vast majority of people in electronic music aren't racist.. or let's just say they know it's wrong and trying to improve themselves. So yea, play what you like!

I think basically that what it comes down to for DJ's is the music you play and how well you play it, your involvement in the scene, and your ability to get along with people. If I was more patient with people I'd be a rock star by now So yea, word to the wise on that! If you work on all those things you will find a place for yourself.

And if you do come across significant racism time and time again, find different people to deal with.. get away from that. And in general avoid people with big attitudes and all the other bad shit that comes with that. There are plenty of super talented people out there with good attitudes.. work on your DJing and put yourself out there among those good people, and make every gig count.. and you will def find a home in electronic music somewhere.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 09-11-2018 at 11:02 AM.

I would have to agree that the top EDM DJ's are white. I actually can't think of a single black guy....

On the other hand, if you're talking House there's a lot but many of them are old school.

Frankie Knuckles
    Green Velvet
    Kerri Chandler
    Chez Damier
    Black Coffee
    Terry Hunter
    Jesse Saunders
    Mad Mike
    Donald Glaude
    Heather
    Ron Trent
    Doc Link

tons more...

No reason why your skin color should keep you from chasing the big-room, EDM dream though. Most DJ's tend to be fairly open to just about everyone.

Black Dj's

Quote Originally Posted by theblackdj View Post
    Hi I am new to the forum I am black 50% and white 50% I don't see many black dj's a huge part of show business and being an artist is being the right "type" that's why most rappers are black and only a few are white like eminem and MGK. I really have a passion for EDM music and I have never actually even tried djing before but I have always wanted to give it a shot but I don't want my skin color to be a negative factor in determining how far I can take my success. Name one black DJ that you listen to. Avicii is white martin garrix is white all of the big names in this music genera are white I think I might have a better shot of overall success if I joined the hip hop side of things but I don't really want to make hip hop music I have a passion for EDM. I have linked a picture of myself.
    I think racial divides are often exaggerated. IMHO if you’re talented, have good skills, and the DESIRE, a good looking young guy like yourself should do well. Good luck.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theblackdj View Post
    I really have a passion for EDM music
    name 3 EDM songs
    My Latest Mix : EDC LAS VEGAS 2023 (05/18/2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by maelstrom99 View Post
    wow this guy has mad talent OP you are doing a great job of promoting him, do you get paid in dick or what

Quote Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
    name 3 EDM songs
    Looks like the OP hasn't been back since he made this post...