Thread: Behringer 1204usb..set up

Behringer 1204usb..set up

I'm fairly new to dj industry. I started with a passive system. Going active. I have 2 Zlx-12p and EV powered 18. I also do karaoke so I have a powered monitor. I would like separate control of each. Running the Zlx-12p out the mains.. where to plug in the sub and mon? Is it as easy as running them from Alt 3 and 4?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesguy1981j View Post
    I have 2 Zlx-12p and EV powered 18. I also do karaoke so I have a powered monitor. I would like separate control of each. Running the Zlx-12p out the mains.. where to plug in the sub and mon? Is it as easy as running them from Alt 3 and 4?
    The Behringer 1204 USB is a live sound reinforcement mixer, not a DJ mixer. To do DJing on it will require a bit of creativity.

If you use Alt 3&4 and route them to the control room, then I would use the control room outputs. Why do those instead of just the Alt 3&4? Because live sound reinforcement mixers have independent bussing, where DJ mixers have 2 relative busses (main out and cue). This is important because on a DJ mixer, if you have a track go to the cue buss, then it will be heard there AND it can be heard in the main output. In your mixer, it's one OR the other. You can use the control room output to listen to both - but even then you can't control how much of each you can hear.

I strongly advise getting a DJ mixer. You'll be way happier.

Ok now routing. Most subs have the ability to take in both the left and right channels, take the lower frequencies, and then pass along the filtered signal so that the other speakers get sound signal with the lower frequencies removed. So your main output feeds the sub and the sub feeds the tops.

Your booth monitor should be fed off of the control output. Since you have only one speaker, you'll probably have to use adapters to sum the stereo signal into a mono signal to feed the monitor.
    Last edited by KLH; 09-04-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I have 2 Zlx-12p and EV powered 18.
    What EV sub? Standard practice is main outs from the mixer to the sub and then link out from the sub to the tops. Set all speakers at unity gain and engage 100hz high pass on both ZLX speakers. There should be no need to control the level of the sub separately, to tame a singer with a boomy voice engage the low cut filter on the mic channel and turn the low EQ control down some, this controls the vocal without taking away all the bass from the music backing track.
    A monitor is usually connected to Aux1, you control how much of each input appears in that monitor with the Aux1 controls on each channel and control the overall level of that signal with the AUX1 Send control. This provides completely independent control of the monitor signal that won't be affected at all by the channel or master fader positions.
    Last edited by conanski; 09-05-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

What conanski said.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    A monitor is usually connected to Aux1, you control how much of each input appears in that monitor with the Aux1 controls on each channel and control the overall level of that signal with the AUX1 Send control. This provides completely independent control of the monitor signal that won't be affected at all by the channel or master fader positions.
    That's a better solution than using the control room side.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Ok I started off just doing karaoke and using win amp for filler music. I am not a true dj nor do I pass myself off as one. The sub is an ELX-200 18p. Right now I run a behringer pmp 4000 powered mixer. I have It hooked to a inuke 1000 coming out of main 2 from the mixer. I like that I'm able to control the sub separately. Could I possible use the phone out to the sub? That does have a separate volume control

Ok I started off just doing karaoke and using win amp for filler music. I am not a true dj nor do I pass myself off as one. The sub is an ELX-200 18p. Right now I run a behringer pmp 4000 powered mixer. I have It hooked to a inuke 1000 coming out of main 2 from the mixer. I like that I'm able to control the sub separately. Could I possible use the phone out to the sub? That does have a separate volume control
    I don't get your setup. If you have the 1204usb mixer and 2 x ZLX tops and the ELX sub, why do you need the PMP or the inuke amp??! You have got something wrong there, it's amazing you haven't blown anything yet.

What is hooked to what? Using what connections?

As it says in the first post. I'm moving from a passive system with a powered mixer to an active.

Ok well as Conanski said, if you have things set up right with the correct crossover settings on the sub and tops, and levels set correctly on those, then you shouldn't need separate control of the sub, it should just work. You have the EQ's to make minor adjustments of the bass on different tracks, and use low cut on the mic inputs.

But if you really want to control the sub separately, you have two choices. You can use the control room output to feed the sub, or you can use the Efx send output. If you use the efx output, then you'll be able to control the level of the sub separately for each input, which is what a lot of live sound engineers do.. because it makes sense for that.. but DJ's don't need that.