Thread: What Ortofon concord mk2 to choose

What Ortofon concord mk2 to choose

Hi all,
    I would choice between Ortofon Concorde MK2:
    - Mix
    - DJ
    - Club

Please could you help me about:
    1) it worth 100 € differences between club and mix?
    2) the digital are much better than mix for dvs?
    2) the digital are much better than club for dvs?

Thanks

My take on this (and cartridges in general) is that you're looking at something very crucial and physical between your precious records and the output (think of tires in your car)

Things to consider is the stylus; whether it's elliptical, spherical etc.. Spherical stylii have for instance a tendency to leave dust in the groove because they don't reach the bottom (I think many scratch needles are spherical) but generally don't skip as easily and are more forgiving.

Another thing is the output.. we're talking in the range of 5-10mV max and that isn't much especially if the environment is very noisy (I mean RF noise, ripple voltages, internal power surges and spikes etc)

There are different cartridges when it comes to their operation like moving magnet (MM) and moving magnet coil (MMC).. I'm not experienced in that field other than that some RIAA/phono preamplifiers are specifically designed for different cartridges, but you most likely won't notice the difference unless in those very specialized applications and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    My take on this (and cartridges in general) is that you're looking at something very crucial and physical between your precious records and the output (think of tires in your car)

Things to consider is the stylus; whether it's elliptical, spherical etc.. Spherical stylii have for instance a tendency to leave dust in the groove because they don't reach the bottom (I think many scratch needles are spherical) but generally don't skip as easily and are more forgiving.

Another thing is the output.. we're talking in the range of 5-10mV max and that isn't much especially if the environment is very noisy (I mean RF noise, ripple voltages, internal power surges and spikes etc)

There are different cartridges when it comes to their operation like moving magnet (MM) and moving magnet coil (MMC).. I'm not experienced in that field other than that some RIAA/phono preamplifiers are specifically designed for different cartridges, but you most likely won't notice the difference unless in those very specialized applications and conditions.
    Thanks for the answers: i am not expert and i am unable to understand differences between elliptical and spherical.

I will use the ortofon with a reloop rp 7000 or pioneer plx 1000 with the mixer of a ddj 1000 with 2 jbl lsr 305 ad output

The use will be the use of an old school dj with no much scratch and 75% DVS and 25% classic vinyl

You can always change the stylii later for another sort.

Ortofon stylii are interchangable (as long as you stick to MKII or MKI ranges depending on your cartridge).

Ortofon would like to say that they do not support this. But they are in the business of selling as many units as possible.

The cart converts the movement to sound. The stylus controls the grip on the record and also affects sound a bit.

Cartridges can last for decades (my original Concordes are over 20 years old). Stylii need replacing as necessary. I have used 3 different stylii types on my cartridges without issue (apart from the obvious minor change in record grip/sound).

Don't worry about it too much, just buy what you feel is necessary. Spending a fortune on DJ equipment to get great sound is kind of a lost cause, because sound quality is not comparable to hifi gear.

Also if you are thinking of ripping records, you could think of getting hifi carts rather than DJ carts, unless you love the sound of DJ equipment.

Your other equipment should be more than sufficient to handle any of the Ortofon range.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

maybe one of yo guys can help me:
    i'm in the market for new cartridges but can't decide which one to choose. either the MIX MK2 or the SCRATCH MK2. i like the high output of the scratch but i am a bit concerned it might be lacking in highs and sound not that rich, with it's freq range only going up to 18khz. or won't there be any hearable difference compared to the 20khz of the mix mk2?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlNapp View Post
    maybe one of yo guys can help me:
    i'm in the market for new cartridges but can't decide which one to choose. either the MIX MK2 or the SCRATCH MK2. i like the high output of the scratch but i am a bit concerned it might be lacking in highs and sound not that rich, with it's freq range only going up to 18khz. or won't there be any hearable difference compared to the 20khz of the mix mk2?
    It depends on what you will be doing with your cartridge. If you're going to scratch, then of course the Scratch is better. If you're just going to mix then the Mix will definitely sound the best and the output is totally adequate and won't make much of a difference. If you're going to use it for time code vinyl only, then the limited frequency range of the scratch will not matter, since it won't affect the time code.