Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disposable Wireless Microphones for one job advice

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    In the situation with the GTDs it was a much much less critical situation, just an announcer at a sort of fashion show... non professional. Hence the low budget. But nope, distortion again.
    When you say distortion with the GTD mics are you referring to when someone is singing or speaking really loud you hear distortion? Or do you mean something else? Did you try changing the channel to see if that made a difference?

I own GTD mics and have not had any distortion issues. The only time I had an issue was when someone was speaking and there was a slight, not very audible, feedback sounding noise. I switched channels and that took care of the issue. I usually test the mics before a gig to make sure they sound fine on the channel being used. It's important to do that in very populated areas because there might be interference. In my opinion, the GTD mics are a great value. They even have a package with 2 mics for only $168. I've used them at many gigs without issue.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Quote Originally Posted by djeternal View Post
    When you say distortion with the GTD mics are you referring to when someone is singing or speaking really loud you hear distortion? Or do you mean something else? Did you try changing the channel to see if that made a difference?

I own GTD mics and have not had any distortion issues. The only time I had an issue was when someone was speaking and there was a slight, not very audible, feedback sounding noise. I switched channels and that took care of the issue. I usually test the mics before a gig to make sure they sound fine on the channel being used. It's important to do that in very populated areas because there might be interference. In my opinion, the GTD mics are a great value. They even have a package with 2 mics for only $168. I've used them at many gigs without issue.
    What I mean is that they were fine if you spoke at conversational volume into them and/or kept them 6 inches away from your mouth.
    If you used a stage voice into them and/or got real close to them, it would overload the preamps in them and there was not a thing I could do because the gain controls aren't accessible without actually taking the mic apart. Not that I even knew that at the time because I had no internet access to find out. So yea, a wireless not having any sort of gain control is a major no-no for me. So yea, I put cotton balls inside the screen.. that helped a little.. and asked the announcers to hold the mic at a good distance.. which they remembered to do for about 10 minutes at a time....

Tho. in the situation with the Samsons.. they HAD gain controls on the outside.. nice and proper. Only, no matter how low you set them, they just couldn't handle the level of a professional singer.. the level control was in the circuit AFTER the preamp that was distorting. Hopefully that would not be the case with GTD.. I don't know, I never got to try it.

Would it help to use the volume control on the receiver or the gain on a mixer in your scenario? I'm just curious because I have not had that issue. Although, truth be told, if there is a soloist performing at my gigs I usually give them the Sennheiser. There have been times when there was a singing group and I had to use my Sennheiser and my GTD Audio mics. But even in that scenario I don't recall any distortion issues.

I just remembered that I've used the GTD Audio mics at church services. I used to provide sound for a youth church. The preacher there is black. Like many black preachers he preaches really loud. The mics held up quite well. I wanted to turn it down sometimes because it was loud and the room wasn't really big lol. Not because of distortion.
    Last edited by djeternal; 08-30-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

I can attest to the GTD mics... Great cheap units.

UPDATE!

Well they only need 3 for the event and I should make it with the two i have and i will pass on the cheap ones. BUT I will buy another one. Now since we don't do big complex events 50-100PAX is the norm my trusty SVX is my go to that lives in my coffin. Wife has an SLX on her rig which while I love i hate the on/off switch wedding guests are special type of people and on and off would just be nice. That one is fiddly. Also the battery 3 Segment gauge is pretty wild in its range. All bar feels like 30-100% and loose a bar and within 10 mins its dead. So as always new batteries every job. The others are SV and B series I think.

So Iam thinking just grab another couple of SVX units. They are simple I am more than happy with the results they deliver for me even though I hate the button at the bottom OR do I look at stepping up to the GLX Digital with its rechargeable batteries.

Its rare that someone is performing a song at a wedding and if they are usually have them on a wired mic.

So as a result like last FRI and SAT wedding they get drunk one guy thought he would be cool and MIC Dropped the other just had no respect for the gear.

Since half the gigs have an MC i hand to over so Iam thinking maybe just stick with the SVX? Thoughts? Money is not that important but I really don't think based on what we do its a worth investment? I would rather put some coin towards replacing some of our scrims or perhaps:

https://www.storedj.com.au/alto-prof...ireless-system

For corporate setups getting the sound around the room in an easier way without the stress of cables in high traffic areas. Thoughts on that thing I prefer cables and since my speakers are ALWAYS infant of my setup its cool but just some jobs this seems like it would do for speeches and confrence scenarios. where sound both in the front back or in rooms where there is a very distant quiet spot this could balance out (Without getting carried away with delays etc) All thoughts welcome
    MODZ let me know if you want me to snip that last piece out and recreate a new thread in the SOUND section
    OP